Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Former Obama Official Says Unvaccinated should be put on a no fly list

dfwskier
Top Contributor

Yup, that's what Juliette Kayyem, a former assistant secretary for homeland security under President Barack Obama said,

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/08/unvaccinated-flight-vaccine-tsa-mandate/619643/

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Former Obama Official Says Unvaccinated should be put on a no fly list

chgoflyer
Top Contributor

This will never happen of course.

But she makes a compelling argument.

The public debate about making vaccination a precondition for travel, employment, and other activities has described this approach as vaccine mandates, a term that, to conservative critics, suggests that unvaccinated people are being ordered around arbitrarily. What is actually going on, mostly, is that institutions are shifting burdens to unvaccinated people—denying them access to certain spaces, requiring them to take regular COVID-19 tests, charging them for the cost of that testing—rather than imposing greater burdens on everyone. Americans still have a choice to go unvaccinated, but that means giving up on certain societal benefits. Nobody has a constitutional right to attend The Lion King on Broadway or work at Disney or Walmart. Employers and entertainment venues are realizing that they can operate more easily without the hassle of planning around unvaccinated employees and customers. Amid a global health crisis, people who defy public-health guidance are not, and do not deserve to be, a protected class.

parpitt1

Never say never, but I agree that it is unlikely given so many other factors

TravelGuru
New Arrival

What about people like me who are ALLERGIC to the vaccine? My Mom already had covid and has antibodies. She has the natural vaccine so why get another one? What about people with aneurysm risk? They can’t get the vaccine it makes bloodclots. Why is everyone being psychotic over a disease you have over 98% chance to survive?

jksobonya
Rising Star

@TravelGuru wrote:

What about people like me who are ALLERGIC to the vaccine? My Mom already had covid and has antibodies. She has the natural vaccine so why get another one? What about people with aneurysm risk? They can’t get the vaccine it makes bloodclots. Why is everyone being psychotic over a disease you have over 98% chance to survive?

Amen! People have truly lost their minds over the past year. It's ridiculous. The vaccine "passports" is the last straw for me. It's segregation, pure and simple, especially for those who have already gotten the virus and have natural immunity. It's even funnier that this suggestion came from an Obama official, who worked for the first black president of America. So much for equality for all. Everyone who chants "black lives matter!" and "equal rights!" while literally suggesting unvaccinated people should be put on a "no fly list" or be banned from society by not entering hotels, restaurants, and whatever else are hypocrites.

The extreme irony of vaccinations, at least in the US but probably elsewhere too, is that a lot of people who still aren't vaccinated are minorities and people of color. Do people really not see how hypocritical they are being by supporting BLM and vaccine passports/papers at the same time? 

--Jessica

phinsn98
New Arrival

I agree….

gsking
Rising Star

I stopped reading at "former Obama"...

chgoflyer
Top Contributor

A very strong majority of Americans support vaccine mandates for domestic travel (along with other situations).

Majorities of Americans now favor requiring people to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination to travel by airplane, stay in a hotel, attend events with large crowds, dine in a restaurant and go to their office or work site.

Update: American Public Opinion and Vaccination Requirements