Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Free in flight Wi-Fi while grounded and delayed

wdraper
New Arrival

If a flight is delayed for a significant time (30+minutes) after boarding (either before takeoff or after landing), I think SW should make the In-Flight Wi-Fi free for passengers. This would at least allow customers to continue to do work while grounded like they could from terminal lounge wifi or broader terminal wifi.

I know that I can hotspot while the plane is grounded but it significantly drains my phone battery, and SW flights don't have in-plane charging. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Free in flight Wi-Fi while grounded and delayed

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

Interesting idea, you're welcome to submit it directly to Southwest

Contact Customer Relations 

The downside is that if more than a handful of people use it the bandwidth is so horrible that making it available to everyone might just make it unusable.  I'd suggest a small external battery pack that can charge your phone.  Then you get the faster speed of your phone with minimal extra carry-on weight.

My experience is delayed flights are much more likely to get free alcohol if that's your thing.  Someday I would expect Southwest to start full beverage service again.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Top Contributor

@wdraper wrote:

I know that I can hotspot while the plane is grounded but it significantly drains my phone battery, and SW flights don't have in-plane charging. 

Ahhh, and that is why I carry 3 separate power banks. 

gsking

@dfwskier wrote:

Ahhh, and that is why I carry 3 separate power banks. 

I'm up to 6, since my wife and kids won't.  😉

bwallet

Anyone asking for free wifi is completely unaware of how bad the onboard wifi is. Now, imagine how bad it would be even more people using it...