Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Fuselage Ventilation

melnal12
Explorer C

People are worried about aircraft using a ventilation system that recirculates the same air that may have germs and virus......I have
a system in my home that circulates the air over an ultraviolet or
black light to kill all microorganisms......do aircraft have such a
system?.......it would sure erase a lot of doubt about flying if such a
system were in place.......just a thought.

Thanks,  Allen Mroski

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Fuselage Ventilation

dfwskier
Aviator A

Interesting concept, Allen, but maybe the airline is doing things that are just as good.

Southwest says "We use HEPA air filters onboard our aircraft, which remove 99.97% of airborne particles—similar to technology found in hospitals."

If it's good enough for a hospital, it's probably good enough for a plane

edit add: Also, cabin  air is not repeatedly recirculated. Fresh air is brought into the aircraft in sufficient quantity that there is a complete turnover of cabin air every 3-4 minutes.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

edit add: Also, cabin  air is not repeatedly recirculated. Fresh air is brought into the aircraft in sufficient quantity that there is a complete turnover of cabin air every 3-4 minutes.

Just want to reiterate this point. Way too many people incorrectly believe the air is continuously recirculated when in reality it is completely refreshed quicker than most office buildings.

--TheMiddleSeat

melnal12
Explorer C

Bacteria and virus are smaller than .03 microns and some can get through the filter.......also, the filter

does not kill them and is only changed monthly........UV is lethal to bacteria and virus, easy to

install and inexpensive........might be a nice backup!

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@melnal12 In addition to the great info these gents have provided, you can read more from SW about onboard cleanliness, see the Southwest Promise.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@melnal12 Taking this one step further, take a look at what was just posted today! 

Keeping the Cabin Air Filtered & Safe for Customers 

Hope this helps!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

ksbrg
Employee
Employee

I've never heard of this; really cool idea!

melnal12
Explorer C

Elija......I travel by air quite often and frequently have respiratory problems after long flights......

Your solutions and answers are textbook and very defensive........It might be helpful if we all were

a little more “open minded,” did some research and included the boss......

dfwskier
Aviator A

@melnal12 wrote:

Elija......I travel by air quite often and frequently have respiratory problems after long flights......

Your solutions and answers are textbook and very defensive........It might be helpful if we all were

Sorry for being a bit dense here, , but I  don't understand why you say that Elijah's post upthread is defensive.

He posted a link that explains the process of refreshing cabin air which is   on topic, and corrects the OP's premise that cabin air is continually recycled, when in fact cabin air is completely replaced with fresh air about every three  minutes.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@melnal12 wrote:

@melnal12 Ever consider that most respiratory problems due to air travel are actually related to the changes in air pressure and humidity and have nothing to do with airborne pathogens? As you suggested, doing some research is a good thing.

Elijah's post was informative and he was sharing information so no need for the aggressive tone. If your "boss" comment is implying he works for Southwest, he does not.

--TheMiddleSeat