Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Golden puppy

Leoboy2020
Explorer A

Help!!!  In just 4 weeks I will be flying to pick up our new 8 week old golden retriever puppy. I ordered and just got in the mail the southwest carrier!  Will my puppy fit in it.  It seems small.  But it’s what is allowed    
has anyone ever  used the southwest carrier  for a 8 week old golden retriever    
we will be flying from Kansas City to Baltimore. Then to islip.  2 short flights. 

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Golden puppy

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

https://www.bwiairport.com/animal-relief-areas 

I have not traveled with pets , but I hear other passengers discussions from time to time.  

If you connect in Baltimore, you will likely want to know where the pup can use the bathroom.  Hopefully the pet relief areas is not too far from your gates.  

Leoboy2020
Explorer A

Thank you!!❤️❤️  I’ve been doing all my research!  Neber have flown with a animal before. Bought the southwest carrier so I know I won’t have any issue with that.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

If your pup is "average," at 8 weeks it'll weight about 10 pounds. The carrier should easily accommodate your pup.

Leoboy2020
Explorer A

Thank you!!!   I’m getting nervous.  Just want to be home with my baby!!!

ksbrg
Employee
Employee

@Leoboy2020 - how exciting!

I'd love to see some photos of the pup once you're together! Let us know how it goes!

Leoboy2020
Explorer A

Yes!!!  I’d love to share. 
I just really hope he fits in the carrier!   I’m bring a backup that is basically the same size.  But shaped a bit differently.   

Leoboy2020
Explorer A

Our flights went so smooth   Easier than flying with annoying kids  lol

our flight attendants loved our pup and he was treated like royalty!!!   Could not of imagined a more perfect day!!  Can’t figure out how to post a pic here 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Glad to hear that things went well.

Enjoy your new pup!

dfwskier
Aviator A

It is likely that your puppy will cry/yap during the flight as he'll be away from his litter mates and mom for the first time. That'll be the case especially if you pick him up and go straight to the airport.

Perhaps a vet could prescribe something to calm him for the flight.