Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Gun Case Attempted Break-In (ATF Report), Bereavement Upcharge

FlyByF14
Explorer C

I traveled with a firearm for the first time this year, and I bought a brand new, heavy-duty gun case (40lbs) with heavy-duty European locks for that purpose.  It was a round-trip out out of McCarran (LAS). 

When it arrived, the case had damage to the bezel in *eight* different places where someone had obviously attempted to use some sort of tool to pry it open.  The edges were scuffed and flattened.

I reported it immediately upon colelction, where the contents were (thankfully) undisturbed.  Southwest still has not been in touch with me over my damage claim two months later.  I took the issue into my own hands and delivered my account and photos of the damage to the ATF tip line.  I have likewise reported Southwest's apparent unwillingness to investigate this serious matter.

That Southwest had already upcharged me for changing my flight due to my aunt's death on account of COVID related complications (despite willingness to present them with funeral home and obituary information), to end to this terrible trip with an attempted burglary of my firearm that they've ignored has given me irreversible clarity into how this airline would handle problems in the future.

I've preferred this airline for years--paying higher prices to fly with them--and I am also a credit card holder, because I thought they were more customer friendly (less frequently punching out customers upset over overbooking or kicking people off a plane for speaking Arabic.)  I've missed the mark, apparently.  New flights already booked on Delta.  Credit card will be cancelled before next renewal periods. 

I hope you guys don't lose anyone due to COVID, and be sure to lock your belongings up tight before entrusting them to SW's custody.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Gun Case Attempted Break-In (ATF Report), Bereavement Upcharge

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

First I’m sorry for your loss. Southwest doesn’t provide bereavement fares so when you book last minute your most likely going to pay the premium price also it’s not that you were upcharged you just had to pay the difference in fare so if you bought your original flight for $100 but then when you changed the reservation that flight is $300 you would have had to pay the $200 difference this happens on all airlines some will also charge you a change fee on top of that fare difference. 

With the gun case keep in mind all bags at an airport are subject to search it is very possible that TSA tried to open the case for inspection. With reporting it to Southwest did you go to the site listed on your damaged bag claim to follow up with southwest or reach out to the phone number on the claim? If not I would do that although it may be too late as claims say you have 21 days to provide receipts and pictures to southwest though that website 

-Blake 

Re: Gun Case Attempted Break-In (ATF Report), Bereavement Upcharge

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Damage claim should go to TSA:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/passenger-support/claims

--TheMiddleSeat