Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Harassed on the plane

Kleubms
Explorer C

I took a flight from Las Vegas to Dallas, TX on 01/05/2023 flight number 1846 gate C4

I got harassed by a man due to reclining my seat back. He started yelling at me and gave me a lecture on why it’s very unnecessary for me to recline my seat back and said I should know better. I turn around and said you’re not a flight attendant, the guy seating behind me never said anything or complain about it. It was the guy next to him on the aisle seat. He complained again 20 mins later calling me names saying I’m a little smart mouthed asian b**** and won’t stop talking about me. I decided to be the bigger person and not say  anything back due to not knowing the laws and regulations while being in the air on a plane. His attitude was disgusting! Please don’t be a Karen in 2023! 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Harassed on the plane

Kleubms
Explorer C

Do’s:

If someone recline their seat and it’s bothering you. It doesn’t hurt to ask nicely and be respectful. At the end of the day we’re all human. 

Don’t: 

Nasty negative attitude will get you no where so please don’t be a Karen in 2023

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Asking for assistance from a crew member in a situation like this is usually a good way to handle it.  It's unfortunate some people get so upset about simple things, even reclining seats.

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C
Solution

Ask for a flight attendant.  You do not need to acknowledge the person, respond to the person or even consider them human.  Pass your complaint to the flight attendant.

The captain of the airline has authority in the sky and until the plane pulls up and opens its door.  While in the air, the captain can order the unruly passenger to behave or that passenger can be arrested when the plane lands.