Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Hot Planes Always

Blairpent
Explorer C

I am taking a flight out of Jacksonville.  It’s 89 here.  Why is it that it takes 60 full minutes to cool off these planes!?  Did I pay less than someone else that I deserve to fly on a plane where I am wet from sweating to death?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Hot Planes Always

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

I tend to actually be cold on SW planes once we are off the ground. 

On the ground, things are tough because the plane is plugged into a ground supply for climate control. I find that all planes with all airlines are generally uncomfortable on the ground when it is hot outside. The flight attendants usually ask passengers to lower window shades and open vents to keep it as cool as possible. 

If if you have feedback to share directly to SW, pls use the contact us link below. 

-A List, Companion Pass holder

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@Blairpent wrote:

I am taking a flight out of Jacksonville.  It’s 89 here.  Why is it that it takes 60 full minutes to cool off these planes!?  Did I pay less than someone else that I deserve to fly on a plane where I am wet from sweating to death?

Another Southern Summer flier here, and I don’t like the “bake wait” either, and I am so grateful when the plane gets to about 10,000 feet and cools off.  My suggestions —(1) I carry a tiny fan that plugs into my phone that helps somewhat but not enough at times.  And (2) a cool water bottle rolled around on my neck also helps.  

Not sure what the inquiry about price means because isn’t everyone hot regardless of what price was paid?  (I have experienced this on every airline.) I feel bad for the flight attendants who are sweating as much as the passengers, but in their workplace.

The heat is not good, but I prefer it over snow and ice delays, so I try to mentally adjust and dress as cool as work clothes permit.  I have even brought shorts in peak heat times during the summer to get out of my work clothes but I usually don’t build the time into my schedule to change, so I gave up on that.

tdcom9
Explorer C

Plans are just too warm! I was so uncomfortable and irritable for the entire flight. Not just waiting to depart while plugged into auxiliary power or whatever they do. It’s absolutely unacceptable that in this day and age you keep people frying in your plans and then they never cool off for the entire flight duration! I’m seriously going to be switching carriers.  It is SOUTHWEST.  They are intentionally saving gas/powered by making passengers miserable and cranky.  I really don’t think they want that to be my experience with the experience of others. Because fights will start breaking out again. Crank the AC, Southwest!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@tdcom9 wrote:

Plans are just too warm! I was so uncomfortable and irritable for the entire flight. Not just waiting to depart while plugged into auxiliary power or whatever they do. It’s absolutely unacceptable that in this day and age you keep people frying in your plans and then they never cool off for the entire flight duration! I’m seriously going to be switching carriers.  It is SOUTHWEST.  They are intentionally saving gas/powered by making passengers miserable and cranky.  I really don’t think they want that to be my experience with the experience of others. Because fights will start breaking out again. Crank the AC, Southwest!

Actually it’s the opposite it is usually cold outside at cruising altitude and bringing in 50% outside air constantly the system would need to heat the air so they must have had the heater on too high.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

tdcom9
Explorer C

Just seeing this, thanks for your response. I meant uncomfortably warm while sitting on the tarmac, not okay, but understandable, but then not cooling the plane off in flight - not acceptable.  Yes, something they need to change overall.  It was not just this flight. The return trip was unfortunately the same.