Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How can I get more information about my plane?

Pelican84
Explorer C

6 REPLIES 6

Re: How can I get more information about my plane?

Pelican84
Explorer C

My crappy laptop won't let me add text in the body of my post. I hav previously traveled with United. I have been looking into other airlines because I think it would be fun to experience them. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems that you can get more info about a flight status in the United app than SouthWest's. It isn't necessary, nor is it anything that the average person would even care about, but it's fun, and I want to know how to get it. With United, when you look up a flight status, it gives you the type of aircraft and its number. For example, "Boeing 737-800W #3267". The app also has a "Where is this aircraft coming from?" feature. This does exactly what it sounds like. You can see the status of the flights your plane will take befor it gets to your departure airport. I can't find these features in the SouthWest flight status, but really want to! I don't have an account or any upcoming flights to schedule because my travel companion likes to do those things through our company. Is there a way to get this information? Thanks, and sorry for having to do this in a reply!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

FlightAware.com and Flightview.com might be two interesing sites for you, and they may even resemble the information that you see on United's tracker.

You can also type the airline and flight number into google as a search and the results will show the route for the flight today including all of the segments under that continuing flight number.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Adding to  what David said, when you are trying to book a Southwest flight and all of the options are visible on your screen, you can go to a given departure time and click on the flight number, What comes up is the type of aircraft and the on time stats from the recent past.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Adding to  what David said, when you are trying to book a Southwest flight and all of the options are visible on your screen, you can go to a given departure time and click on the flight number, What comes up is the type of aircraft and the on time stats from the recent past.

Oh yeah! I was looking at the question from day-of or impending travel perspective, but I forgot to mention that you can see what aircraft you are scheduled to have as well when you are selecting flights.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bgubs14
Frequent Flyer C

Once you have the flight number from your ticket, let’s say it’s 230 you can google WN 230 and all that information will come up right in google as it has a built in feature 

StAugustine
Frequent Flyer C

The FlightRadar24 app lets you track a particular flight in terms of the aircraft, flight number and the ininerary. I start using it on the day before I fly and I can see where my aircraft has been, where it is going, and whether it is going to be on-time. I like to take early flights and I can double-check with this app to make sure the plane has arrived at the airport the night before and will be ready to go early the next morning.