Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: How do you condone this?!?!?

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

1) I know the I.Q. of people in this country, so even though I may endorse a candidate, I'm not going to wear anything in public, I like less drama in my life, not inviting it.  

2)  Nobody knows the entire story, there is no footage of him getting on the plane, nor how many times he might have been asked to put a mask on.  

3) If you fly Delta, WHT, are you even remotely doing in a SW discussion forum, UNLESS, it's like most people like to do now days, troll and cause trouble.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

Thank you all for reaching out. We understand your concerns and appreciate the opportunity to share our statement:

Our reports indicate that this Customer was asked repeatedly by more than one Employee at different times to wear a face mask. The Customer did not comply with our Crew’s multiple verbal requests—including while boarding the flight before seated. Therefore, the decision was made to return to the gate and re-accommodate him on a later flight to his final destination after receiving assurances he would comply with our face covering policy. We regret the inconvenience the situation created for all involved, but our Crew must support the well-being and comfort of all Passengers.

Our policy clearly states that we require all Customers over the age of two to wear a face covering or face mask while traveling to help prevent the transmission of COVID-19. We communicate this policy to all Customers at multiple touchpoints throughout the travel journey including during booking, in a pre-trip email sent prior to departure, and during a required acknowledgement that’s part of the Customer Health Declaration Form which appears during the check-in process on the Southwest app, Southwest.com, Southwest’s mobile website, and airport kiosks. We do acknowledge there may be times when a Customer needs to briefly remove their face covering, for instance, to eat, drink, or take medicine. However, we expect these instances to be very brief, and Customers should put their face covering back on as soon as possible.

Southwest Airlines Employees welcome onboard millions of Customers every year, with a goal of treating each one with respect, kindness, and fairness—delivering our world-class warmth and Hospitality. And, we do not tolerate discrimination of any kind.

Nicole
Community Manager

Topper
Explorer C

Southwest Airlines,

I've read your reply, and I've watched the video. The video showed a quiet, respectful Black Man with Trump gear on being kicked off one of your aircraft, while other passengers around him including a women across the isle from him saying he was following instructions.

You may have interviewed your anti-Trump employees, but that only gave you one side of the story. It appears the other passengers had a different story, and you didn't want to hear that.

I know you think that  your reply was "good enough". But I don't believe it is. If he'd have been wearing a BLM hat, or Biden hat, nothing would have been said. If you want to convince me other wise, show me a pro Trump message on your aircraft or even your website.

redwa
Explorer B

Agreed your reply was a PC based lib reply.  Your airline started in Texas not California.  Remember your roots.  Herb is probably rolling over in his grave at this!!!

Blacks for Trump Ejection

clutchkickers
Explorer C

Southwest better follow up with something better than the answer I have seen so far. NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN will not protect you. I will empty my rewards and switch to Delta no problem.  

The Rubin Report, Hannity, and Tucker Carlson will keep this alive until a reasonable resolution is achieved.  If this guy was BLM and you kicked him off the freak show would have already ransacked your HQ. 

Re: Blacks for Trump Ejection

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

let me know how those baggage fees on Delta are working for you.

Re: Blacks for Trump Ejection

dfwskier
Aviator A

@clutchkickers wrote:

Southwest better follow up with something better than the answer I have seen so far. NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN will not protect you. I will empty my rewards and switch to Delta no problem.  

You want to switch to Delta because it does not boot passengers that don't wear masks off it's flights? 

Good luck with that:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/delta-airlines-no-fly-list-tops-240/index.html

and for one that sounds like the SW incident you are complaining about

https://www.distractify.com/p/delta-flight-turns-around-passengers-no-mask

It's really quite simple: If you don't wear a mask, you'll get kicked off the flight. 

Oh, and if you do it on Delta, you'll be put on it's no fly list and never be allowed to fly the airline again.

Chuckles45
Explorer C

However this is justified in corporate-speak this is not a good look for Southwest. I am a long-time frequent flyer and have grown to expect excellent crews and good humor.

Whatever allegedly happened prior to the rudeness presented in the video the flight attendants, one specifically, did not represent SW well.

Although the effectiveness of masks is questionable I am willing to comply for a couple of hours. It's also noteworthy to mention that the cabin air is frequently refreshed and HEPA filtered. I asked a Captain for a competitor airline about masks and he said they wear a mask with the flight deck door open and remove it when it's closed. I would be surprised to learn SW is different.

Since July I have flown to St. Louis and back with a Cape Air commuter in between. I have flown on another airline from Sanford to Knoxville and back . Both times I lowered my mask for drinks or snacks without comment or even a disapproving look from the crew. I have lowered my mask for food and drink in the terminals. I feel any exposure would have been at least as possible in the terminal as onboard.

What's more important to Southwest is the tainting of all the good will created during thousands of daily flights by one employee who showed extremely poor judgment. Now Southwest is in the company of American and United best known for customer abuse and killing pets.

I have always enjoyed flying Southwest and have even visited the museum at Love Field.

Please don't allow bad judgment or worse, any form of bias, to turn my favorite airline into just another human cargo carrier.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I completely disagree. To me, this confirms that Southwest takes mask-wearing seriously and will enforce their policies on board. Even when faced with a grandstanding individual who refuses to comply, and who blatantly ignores crew direction in an apparent attempt at creating controversy, most likely to promote a personal or political agenda. I think Southwest handled the situation the best they could, and this gives me confidence in continuing to fly them.

redwa
Explorer B

This is highly disturbing!  This was a very respectful gentleman and you gave him nuts so how is he supposed to eat them.  Flight attendant surely didn't like his cap.

I am re-thinking my loyalty to your airline.  Cut the crap or you' lose lots of goodwill!!!