Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How has flying Southwest been lately??

gleen41
Explorer C

I’m taking a trip at the end of September and have to plan A LOT for it. Multiple stops, stays, etc.

Just booked my flight with Southwest and it got me wondering how flying with them has been lately. I keep seeing flights getting cancelled/ delayed constantly but not sure if it’s specific to certain airlines or airports??

Idk, I’m just anxious already!!!! Any recent Southwest experiences to note??

5 REPLIES 5

Re: How has flying Southwest been lately??

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You only hear about the minority of flights on all airlines that go bad. The vast majority have no problems.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

The issue you referred to is affecting all airlines - worldwide -- not just SW. The pandemic caused all airlines to shed personnel. Then travel came back stronger than expected and airlines didn't (still don't) have enough employees to handle the number of travelers. Southwest is on record as trying to hire thousands of people.

Personally, I've had 22 flights this year -- no cancellations -- one delayed 2.5 hours - the rest pretty much on time 

bec102896
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Personally, I've had 22 flights this year -- no cancellations -- one delayed 2.5 hours - the rest pretty much on time 

lucky you this year alone I’ve had 3 cancellations over 2 airlines and 17 delays more than an hour (6 over 2 hours) 6 reaccommodations and 2 over an hour taxi after landing but on the bright side no middle seat occupied next to me this year so far and these stats are still better than last year so I’ll take it. 

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

very good has an august, October and April trip 

jksobonya
Aviator A

Just flew from Philly to New Orleans to Nashville and back (arrived home yesterday) and all the flights were great! The flight to New Orleans was shockingly empty, I think there were less than 70 of us on that plane and they made us all sit in different sections to disperse the weight! The other flights were full. The only questionable flight was the one from New Orleans to Nashville because of storms but it left on time!

--Jessica