Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

I was accused of smoking in the restroom on the plane!

Rondevue10
Explorer C
Can you believe this:

As I was onboard the plane, I needed to use the restroom. Another person (male) was inside the restroom so I waited till the stall became vacant. We were sitting in the 3rd row. The person exited the restroom and I got up out of my seat and went inside. I used the restroom and washed my hands and was exiting the stall. When I exited the stall the flight attendant Ms. XXXX Jackson questioned me and and ask me if I was smoking inside the restroom. Surprised at what she ask me, I told her "no I didn't smoke inside the restroom", then she questioned me again and said "you didn't vape in the restroom?", again I said "no, I wouldn't do something like that". After Ms. Jackson rudely accused me of smoking on the flight she ignorantly told me " then go sit down". As I went back to my seat so as to not cause any problems on the flight, I told the lady sitting next to me what the stewardess ask me and she said when I open up the restroom door to go inside it was a wind of smoke smell that came out of the restroom. The other person went inside the restroom stall two times. Once before me and once after me. I pointed out to Ms. Jackson that the same person is going back into the stall and she told me he has a health problem and needed to frequent the restroom.

1) I did not smoke or do anything but use the restroom to relieve myself and washed my hands inside that stall. 2) The person that used the restroom before me got up again and went into the stall again, could it have been him because it wasn't me. 3) Why didn't the stewardess ask the man in the stall prior to me if he would be honest and say if he went inside the stall and smoked or did something. 

I felt so bad I was being accused of something so serious and how that could have been a huge problem if I smoked on an aircraft. My parent taught us to be upstanding citizens and I'm not crazy enough to do something that unlawful. The other stewardess (Martin XXXX) was standing alongside the other stewardess and didn't say anything. 

I am appalled at Southwest Airlines for her accusing me of such a crime. I understand the stewardess was doing her job, but the way she approached me about the situation and only questions me I felt was discriminatory and an assault on my character.  If this type of issue was upgraded I do not know what could have turned out with such a accusation.

I have never had a problem with Southwest or any other airlines and I feel I had been assaulted.

-RA
9 REPLIES 9

Re: I was accused of smoking in the restroom on the plane!

dfwskier
Aviator A

I read your post carefully. It seems the "stewardess" (they are called flight attendants nowadays) never "accused" you of anything- asking you if you had smoked isn't accusing you of anything.

If smoke fumes came out of the lav when you exited, what did you expect them to do?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@dfwskier The wording does make me think it's another fake post.  I don't understand what people get out of writing up long, fake stories.  Looking to create outrage?

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

I tend to agree. 

so I can answer the OP's first question (top of post): no. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

It sounds like you were questioned, not accused.  The flight crew's number one job is safety and ensuring someone isn't smoking in the bathroom is part of that.  I see nothing wrong with crew asking about a potential safety issue if they have concerns.  You weren't smoking so there was no problem and it sounds like no further action was taken after you answered "no".  If you desire to submit your comments directly to Southwest you're welcome to, use the contact us link at the bottom of the page and send a message.

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

Your welcome to share your feedback with southwest directly by clicking on the contact us link at the bottom of the page. 

Deneoreeng
Explorer C

It's a bit strange that only you were questioned when the person before you also went into the restroom. It does seem like there might have been some confusion, and it's unfortunate that it led to you feeling wrongly accused.

floridaguy
Aviator C

I believe that the story is made up.

Just like the case of 48 preboards on a flight.  

mandmore
Explorer C

It's important for airline staff to ensure the safety of all passengers, but it does seem like the flight attendant could have handled the situation better. Accusations like that can be really unsettling. Have you considered reaching out to Southwest Airlines' customer service to share your experience and get some clarity on the situation?

ali012
Explorer B

You're right; terminology matters, and flight attendants is the preferred term. However, the experience of being asked about smoke fumes can feel accusatory in the moment, even if it's standard procedure. It's a tough situation for anyone to navigate, especially if wrongly associated with something they didn't do. Clear communication and understanding on both sides are crucial in such incidents.