Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: In-Flight Wi-Fi Disappointments

revdkenhoward
Explorer C

So much wasted time. So little (no) help. Unlike GoGo and Boingo, no inflight chat support. Y’all suck at WiFi 

Renoladybug
Explorer C

I am in complete agreement on the wifi issue. I plan on doing a project and then it won't connect a spend 30-40 minutes before I just give up. Southwest is better than this. Please upgrade your system or don't advertise it 

thank you 

Renoladybug
Explorer C

I am in complete agreement on the wifi issue. I plan on doing a project and then it won't connect a spend 30-40 minutes before I just give up. Southwest is better than this. Please upgrade your system or don't advertise it 

thank you 

Timetraveler5
Explorer C

The Wi-Fi does not work or works poorly on 50% of the flights. I have mapped this over the last year based on the flights I have booked. As a frequent business traveler this is forcing me to look at flying other airlines. I really like Southwest but when I am unable to work on the flights it creates a big problem. Southwest does not seem to be interested in solving this problem by changing its service provider. It is shame in this time of high speed data demands that a company like Southwest is unable to solve the issue for its preferred business travelers.

Kmillard14
Explorer C

*Every flight I pay $8 to use WiFi  

*theres an issue every time - can’t connect; poor connection; today no movie data available and only 4 cartoon kid series on deman tv - it’s BS

*i fly 4-5 times a month  you’d think a 4 hour flight would reconcile the no movie data! Or at least let you know in advance they didn’t pay the bill so I’d know to just download my own  

I figure southwest has earned $500=in bogus internet charges from me last year and 1/2

lesson learned. I will not purchase it again  

Restless Passenger 🤪

cspinelli
Explorer C

I was excited to reach A-list preffered for the first time, and I was really looking forward to having free inflight wifi as a reward. Sad to find out the wifi is horrible, just like everyone else is saying. 90% of the time I try to to use it I am unable to connect and waste 15 minutes trying to get it to work. If I am able to connect I can't do even basic web surfing.  If you are avertising in flight wifi, and the year is 2018, to me that means I should be able to stream a low resolution movie or podcast without any problem. If you read the small print you will find out that the wifi does not support any sort of streaming media, but worse than that the system generally not even support basic web surfing. I really feel it is false advertising by SW to promote this as a benefit of A-list preferred. I also feel sorry for anyone who pays 8 bucks to bang their head against a wall trying to get the connection work. SW, If you don't have the technology ready and available you should not advertise it and include it as part of a benefit package. I'm a loyal SW customer, but the wifi is truly a joke.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Just curious @cspinelli - you hadn't been purchasing the wifi before earning A-list preferred?

Sorry that this surprised you. I've adjusted my own workflow not to rely on any VPN items, usually bringing a USB drive with most of what I need, buying wifi for light-duty work-related browsing and email.

VPN capability sure would be nice!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

cspinelli
Explorer C

@DancingDavidE - It is funny to think I reached A-list preferred without ever purchasing wifi, but yes that is the case. I usually prep work so I can complete it without internet connectivity, but I was looking forward to not worrying about that.

Just flew to Cabo this weekend. It is awesome I was able fly to Cabo direct from Oakland via SW, but again battled the wifi connection. Spent 30 minutes trying to connect my iphone X before giving up. The usual process goes something like this: restart phone, turn off/on wifi, renew wifi lease, rinse and repeat 5 times, give up. I think I read somewhere this is the definition of insanity. Just glad there was tequila waiting for me when I landed.

Adios!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@cspinelli wrote:

@DancingDavidE - It is funny to think I reached A-list preferred without ever purchasing wifi, but yes that is the case. I usually prep work so I can complete it without internet connectivity, but I was looking forward to not worrying about that.

Little did you know that you were already doing it the most likely way to be successful.

@cspinelli wrote:

Just flew to Cabo this weekend. It is awesome I was able fly to Cabo direct from Oakland via SW, but again battled the wifi connection. Spent 30 minutes trying to connect my iphone X before giving up. The usual process goes something like this: restart phone, turn off/on wifi, renew wifi lease, rinse and repeat 5 times, give up. I think I read somewhere this is the definition of insanity. Just glad there was tequila waiting for me when I landed.

Extra obstacle here that when the plane crosses the border the wifi internet connectivity would be inactive, or at least this was the case when I flew to Cancun on Southwest...something with their satellite signal wasn't licensed outside of the domestic USA footprint. The onboard flight tracker, etc. still worked.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Kmillard14
Explorer C

AMEN! And I thought it was me/age! At least glad to know it’s SOUTHWEST!