Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: In-Flight Wi-Fi Disappointments

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

You can write to Gary Kelly.

I wouldn't call that number expecting him or his assistant to personally answer the phone.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Gam3md
Explorer C

This is my 3rd flight in the last few months in which the WiFi was not offered or terrible functionality. 

There is something more going on the swarty little answers that marketing is putting on this thread. 

Zphillymqn
Explorer C

Unbelievable!  A 5 hour flight to Philly during the heart of the Eagles-Saints game and they “disabled” the WiFi.  My love of Southwest is lost.  Just disgusted. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Zphillymqn wrote:

Unbelievable!  A 5 hour flight to Philly during the heart of the Eagles-Saints game and they “disabled” the WiFi.  My love of Southwest is lost.  Just disgusted. 

Well, if you looked at the other posts in the thread, you noticed that lots of people are unhappy with Southwest's wifi service.It appears that the airline is switching equipment out on some planes, and that means that some planes don't offer wifi  as equipment is being switched. Some of the old equipment apparently does not work either.

So the airline didn't really disable the wifi, but instead it just didn't work. Hopefully, the situation will improve over the short term.

In the mean time, you can file a complaint with Southwest's customer service people. Click on "contact us" at the bottom of this page, and then pick your method of contacting the airline from the choices listed on the top left of the ensuing page.

dunham_john
Explorer C

Seriously, I contact them after almost every flight to show them that the inflight wifi is broken. I fly enough to earn companion pass and sometimes 2x over in a year, but it doesn't matter that I complain about it. I get what amounts to an AI-like response an hour or two later apologizing, suggesting that they are looking into it, and then nothing.

It just sucks that they expect us to continue to use the airline when we can't be productive. I hope they understand that other airlines will meet-comp the SWA status (e.g. Delta) and work pays for Wi-Fi in the interim, so what gives? Why would they push the buttons of their most frequent travelers? If they need to charge us for internet, it isn't like we aren't going to pay for it.

Honestly, it seems like customer experience died with Herb Kelleher.  Yeah, Gary, I'm talking to you.

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

you might want to ask lindsey for your help. I highly doubt she would help you. This is not my first time I ever heard many customer complaining about the inflight Wi-Fi that are not working.

At my vantage point, I bought myself a dvd movie, so I don't have to worry about paying 8 dollars for Wi-Fi that is not working and lose the money.

Uhmm, might wants to buy Gary a new router and he might install on one of the aircraft. Hoping this will work again on the next flight...s.m.h.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@DfDrPepper_23 wrote:

you might want to ask lindsey for your help. I highly doubt she would help you. This is not my first time I ever heard many customer complaining about the inflight Wi-Fi that are not working.

Lindsey facilitates this community, she's not in the IT department - if you want to talk to Southwest about the wifi use "Contact Us" methods listed on the website.

@DfDrPepper_23 wrote:

At my vantage point, I bought myself a dvd movie, so I don't have to worry about paying 8 dollars for Wi-Fi that is not working and lose the money.

I'd recommend an option where you download the file in advance if possible, this would insulate you against poor connections, lack of connection, bandwidth, etc. A portable DVD player could also be an option.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dlohr
Explorer C

Just wanted to share my experience that the wifi on this flight 2881 from BWI to PHX is absolute garbage! I cannot even load google or southwest.com. For $8, this is such a rip off. 

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

@dlohr you can get in touch with Southwest to request a refund -- click "Contact Us" at the bottom of the forum pages for options, Twitter is probably the fastest way to get a response.

Customer | Home airport DCA