Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

In-Flight Wi-Fi Disappointments

Haazmon
Explorer C

I love Southwest and consider myself a raving fan.   However, my experience with Wi-Fi is just making me raving mad.   On the last 4 flights I have taken I have paid for wi-fi only to have it not work at all, or at best be like a 56k dial-up modem.   I have lost so much productivity waiting on what I thought was going to work it really annoys me.    IF your wi-fi does not work, then don't advertize it or offer it.   It is not the money, it is the lost time that I could have been doing something else except for pages loading.   Very disapointing, and so beneath SouthWest Air IMO.  

48 REPLIES 48

Re: In-Flight Wi-Fi Disappointments

ErinArreguin
Explorer C

I agree.  The last flight I was on didnt have wifi at all.  I thought Southwest adveristed that all of thier planes came with this capability?  I was planning on "checking in" for my return flight, via the wifi, since the 24 prior to departure timeframe hit while I was up in the air.  Oh well....

AshleyMainz
Employee
Employee

Hi @ErinArreguin

More than 80% of our fleet is equipped with WiFi. You can check whether or not your next flight is WiFi-equipped using the WiFi Finder on Southwest.com. Here's the link: www.southwest.com/wifi 

Hope to see you onboard again soon. 

Ashley

Ashley
Community Manager
Southwest Airlines Community

ethanscott
Explorer B

I don't think the thread is about whether you offer Wi-Fi or not, its about why the WiFi does not work at all.

sclance
Explorer C

It's clear from the great majority, if not all, of these posts regarding in-flight internet that the SW internet system is not functional.  I've tried many times to log on as an A Lister and have never been successful.  While watching TV is mostly functional, it wears thin quickly because of all the commercials and as has been pointed out by many business travelers, like me, I would like to be using my time more wisely.  The other major theme in these posts besides the internet not working is that if SW can't get it to work, don't promote it!  

hreems
Explorer C

It sounds to me that many of the people leaving comments are experiencing trouble while using or trying to log on. I have been on 4 different planes this week with 2 more to go and every one of the flight attendants have announced that the wifi is not working as we board the flight or have noted that they will try try to fix it after several passenger complaints during the flight. What’s REALLY going on? If you tell usthere’s a bigger issue, atleast we can opt for another airline until you get it worked out. I can get alot of work done on the plane.

Jlavoie893
Explorer C

The last 4 flights I have been on say there is Wifi but then they tell us there is none. This is very aggravating especially going across the country and need the time to work. Why is this happening so often?

dfwskier
Aviator A

The last 4 flights I have been on say there is Wifi but then they tell us there is none. This is very aggravating especially going across the country and need the time to work. Why is this happening so often?

Since this is a customer to customer forum, it is unlikely that your complaint wil be resolved here.

I'd suggest sending Southwest an e-mail. Details on how to do that are listed on the top left side of the contact us website:

https://www.southwest.com/contact-us/contact-us.html?clk=GFOOTER-CUSTOMER-CONTACT-US

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @Jlavoie893,

Without more details, it's difficult to say why passengers would be advised there is no WiFi on a flight that is clearly WiFi enabled. There may have  been some technical challenge with the WiFi on those particular days. In any event, I'm sorry, and I understand your frustration. We are constantly working to improve the onboard WiFi experience, so hopefully situations like this will be few and far between. 

DenverD
Explorer C

Let me give you some specifics.  I am on flight 1547 (today October 22 2018) and again no Wifi.  The plane is enabled with wifi but the FA announced no wifi “again”.  I think the SWA staff is getting tired of reporting more bad news.  Is SWA trying to be the next Spirit Air?  My flight cost was over $700.  Where do I put the quarters in the slot to get the wifi working?  For the same price as AA and United I expect on par amenities. In summary, FIX IT or lose A-List customers (at a minimum). They are shutting the door so nothing but silence and lost productivity for the next 3 plus hours.  I hope AA or United is monitoring this forum and will come back with some great offers for its neglected customers.