Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: In-Flight Wifi - Issue

jonjzhu
Explorer C

Unable to text over in flight Wi-Fi with default message app on android phone, whereas text using the cell phone's number works perfect on gogo or over in flight Wi-Fi on other airlines, which is really disappointing to business traveler and discourage myself at least from flying southwest..not everyone is using iPhone..

jonjzhu
Explorer C

Unable to text over in flight Wi-Fi with default message app on android phone, whereas text using the cell phone's number works perfect on gogo or over in flight Wi-Fi on other airlines, which is really disappointing to business traveler and discourage myself at least from flying southwest..not everyone is using iPhone..

KC_TRAVEL
Explorer C

The issue persists. SWA is my favorite airline, but unfortunately I am at a point where I will need to discontinue flying on them. My productivity is too important to not have VPN access for hours. I can't lose 1/2 a work day evey time I travel. It's very unfortunate that this has been an ongoing issue since 2016 and it's now 2 weeks until 2018 with no resolution mentioned.

ridgeway
Adventurer C

Hi @LindseyD - just checking in as it's nearly the end of 2017. Any updates?? 

Thanks!

--
Main flight paths are between DEN -> DAL (LUV Field) -> AUS -> PVR

Re: In-FlightWifi - Issue

Kdinnin
Explorer C

Still....sometimes wifi speed is "OK", and sometimes it is horriable. Today is one of those horriable days.  

It seems to me the speed was much better before free television and games were offered to all flyers. I don't know how the speed could be adequate with all the free streaming? 

jonjzhu
Explorer C

Southwest in fight wifi hasn't improved much over the years...on top of that, it blocks text/voice over WiFi..internet unstable through much of the us continent.. That's the single reason I'm flying more United which has far better in flight WiFi

lgb1
Explorer C

Ping.

September 2017 - any updates with respect to VPN on WiFi on Southwest flights?  Appears to still be blocked/broken for me.  When I try to use Cisco AnyConnect to connect to my corporate network I can make the initial connection, but then my connection to the Southwest WiFi network on the plane is broken, meaning I don't have any internet access so everything stops working.  Soon as I disconnect from VPN things are working again.  

In today's world, especially when you have to pay extra for the wifi, the VPN capability should really work.  

Been flying Southwest for many years.  Currently flying often between BWI - SJC.  Hope they get this fixed/upgraded soon.

robrichtx
Explorer C

Let's Simplify this problem:

• SWA is blocking or otherwise hindering VPN access on their WiFi network. I am a WiFi systems engineer, and I agree with the complaint. 
  • Customers are negatively affected by this. We cannot complete critical work while en route
    • This basically takes us back to 2006 - no real connectiity on our flights, and limited productivity. Zero security. 
  • Competing airlines offer this service with VPN ports unblocked. This makes us reconsider our airline choice. 

What is SWA going to do to address this problem, if anything? 

When will it be addressed, if at all? 

All we need is a straightforward answer, either Yes We Can and By This Date,  or No We Can't. We'll adjust our travel plans accordingly.  Either answer is sufficient. 

Thank You Kindly!

Rob

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@robrichtx wrote:

Let's Simplify this problem:

• SWA is blocking or otherwise hindering VPN access on their WiFi network. I am a WiFi systems engineer, and I agree with the complaint. 
  • Customers are negatively affected by this. We cannot complete critical work while en route
    • This basically takes us back to 2006 - no real connectiity on our flights, and limited productivity. Zero security. 
  • Competing airlines offer this service with VPN ports unblocked. This makes us reconsider our airline choice. 

What is SWA going to do to address this problem, if anything? 

When will it be addressed, if at all? 

All we need is a straightforward answer, either Yes We Can and By This Date,  or No We Can't. We'll adjust our travel plans accordingly.  Either answer is sufficient. 

Thank You Kindly!

Rob

LOL. You expect *way* too much. 😉

denno
Adventurer B

I flew MCI-DEN recently on a brand-new 737-800!  Really nice, spanking-new aircraft.  Then the announcement that the WI-FI was not working.  When I asked the flight attendant how it could be inoperative on a brand new aircraft, she basically said, "I don't know and I don't care."  Really bad - both the equipment and personnel.