Southwest Airlines Community

Re: In-Flight Wifi - Issue

robrichtx
Explorer C

Apparently so!

colincahill
Explorer C

He's asking for communication, not necessarily resolution.  I doubt anyone here is expecting airlines to have exceptional wifi, but this is actually a very solveable problem that has to do technological policy rather than the more common problem of resources.

By the way, I can confirm that United airlines does not drop VPN, if anyone wants to look at alternative airlines for business flights.

lmu584
Explorer C

Not able to use wifi that was paid for on the way to a work conference & back. Don't bother paying, it's useless.

FlyAmi
Explorer C

SSL Error?  

Running into an issue with an SSL Error when I try to get on the paid wifi version of InFlight Wifi.   Has this happened to others? 

I can technically connect fine, get through the the A-List  Preferred page to sign in, then anythign out side the free area doesn't connect. My phone and my partners laptop worked the entire flight no issue. Would love to know how others resolved the problem as I'm about to start flying regularly with the computer. 

(I called the work helpdesk and they weren't much help, so hoping the minds here can lend some insight!)

Thingineer
Explorer C

Fying today from BUR -> SJC and I can’t connect to my work’s VPN to get any actual work done.

Had similar issues inJanuary flying from LAX to AUS in January 2018.

My work uses an SSL based VPN and it is required to do e-mail.

Southwest, can you please set expectations about your service and if we need to choose another airline if SSL VPN is not going to be supported?

Thanks

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Did VPN work on any flights for you? I haven't heard many other flyers have reliable success with VPN connections.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Thingineer
Explorer C

I flew 2/27, 3/1 and 3/2 this week.

Tried to get work done from iPad on 2/27 with Corporate SSL VPN did not work at all.

Tried to get work done from Mac on 3/1 and 3/2 with SSL VPN.  Mac would work for about the first 30-45 minutes of flight and then it flatly refused to play ball the rest of the flight.

It's like Southwest has a cap as to how much data I can send over VPN and it shuts me off.

I made sure my corporate backup and cloud storage solution were set to pause and all I was trying to do was e-mail with attachments.

Southwest you need to fix this or I have to fly with another carrier.

colincahill
Explorer C

Bummer, SWA.  I am also on a flight right now.  Southwest's wifi is generally superior than other airlines, but I am consistently getting dumped off of VPN, and I will be in the air for most of today.  Without being able to connect to my company's VPN, that is basically lost time for me. 

If you're going to have a policy of dropping or blocking VPN, the smart business decision is to make that explicit information, not accept money and then have many irritated passengers unable to do the work they need to do.

Edit:  actually, the written policy does explicitly state VPN access:

Internet access for $8 a day per device on WiFi-enabled aircraft:

Email, social networks, browsing and VPN access

TomOaktown
Explorer C

Last Thursday, United SFO-MCO, wifi $17/day.  VPN WORKED.  Able to get work done, "work from home", etc.  Power under the seat.  Delighted.

Today, Southwest JAX-ATL-OAK, wifi $8/day.  VPN DOESN'T WORK.  Wasted day.  Annoyed, disgruntled. 

What it sounds like:  Southwest doesn't want business travelers, or even regular people who have jobs.  (United has actual food, too.  Giving us Fritos instead of pretzels doesn't quite cut it.  Doesn't matter on a 1-hr flight.  Five hours?  Yeah, suddenly it matters.)  And, yes, I'd (obviously) pay double for a wifi that meets my needs.  (Also kind of think it should be free for A-list, not just that wacky Preferred thing nobody ever reaches.)

BTW: My VPN (Cisco Meraki, very popular) uses L2TP protocol.  But all ~5 should be supported.  Somebody posted that's hard to troubleshoot.  No, it's easy: Either it works or it don't, hello.  IT/networking folks will be able to tell what works or not and what is being blocked.  

Re: In-Flight Wifi - VPN Issue

ridgeway
Adventurer C

Update/ post Edit: 4/10/2018 because for some reason posts aren’t visibly time stamped. 

Honestly, I’ve been following this thread for a while, and now “first page” posts are mostly positive deflecting Solutions to the actual problem? Thumb drives? You have kids so just watch the (working) “in flight Wi-Fi tv on your iPad” instead of “troubleshooting the work issue” are kinda silly arguments on why this is still a problem, and why there has, despite direct interaction in this thread from southwest employees, been no action towards fixing this issue. This makes me pretty disappointed on how this thread and how much I really even trust this forum in general. Hope southwest takes note.

--
Main flight paths are between DEN -> DAL (LUV Field) -> AUS -> PVR