Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: In-Flight Wifi - VPN Issue

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@ridgeway wrote:

Update/ post Edit: 4/10/2018 because for some reason posts aren’t visibly time stamped. 

This makes me pretty disappointed on how this thread and how much I really even trust this forum in general. Hope southwest takes note.

I see timestamps in the header for each post, you don't?

Anyway, the community here is not a customer support channel, there is some involvement by a team from Southwest but it isn't a place that directly goes back to the IT department. So you should trust the board for "here's a workaround" or "we suggest you do this, I've done this before, etc." but it isn't a place to submit a work order.

Speaking as a user - I don't know if Southwest will support VPN in the near future, and I certainly don't rely on using it myself as that has proven fruitless, I bring a thumb drive.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

ridgeway
Adventurer C

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@ridgeway wrote:

Update/ post Edit: 4/10/2018 because for some reason posts aren’t visibly time stamped. 

This makes me pretty disappointed on how this thread and how much I really even trust this forum in general. Hope southwest takes note.

I see timestamps in the header for each post, you don't?

Anyway, the community here is not a customer support channel, there is some involvement by a team from Southwest but it isn't a place that directly goes back to the IT department. So you should trust the board for "here's a workaround" or "we suggest you do this, I've done this before, etc." but it isn't a place to submit a work order.

Speaking as a user - I don't know if Southwest will support VPN in the near future, and I certainly don't rely on using it myself as that has proven fruitless, I bring a thumb drive.

I was on mobile, so that's definitely my bad about the time stamps, but I do see them now. However I definitely do not recall the 3 posts before lindsey commented, maybe I'm just going a lil crazy over here. And I do understand this is not direct support, but it is a forum... I've tried direct support but I can never get past level 1 base support. Also, @LindseyD did state that they've forwarded this to their IT dept and would have it resolved or an answer by the end of 2017. 

To their credit, I think they did try to resolve this... they specifically reached out to me even, but since providing them contact info "they decided to go a different route"... and I haven't heard back. Convo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yduwrpbt648401k/Screenshot%202018-04-11%2017.38.24.png?dl=0 

I believe this probably a much bigger issue with software/hardware firewalls, and their IPTV Dish service (I'm making assumptions that it's IPTV, could be something I don't even know about I mean I have never networked an aircraft with streaming dish TV so yea...). But none of this happened before that was launched. And from my experience with IPTV and unique or enterprise network setups, it's a networking PITA. 

--
Main flight paths are between DEN -> DAL (LUV Field) -> AUS -> PVR

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

That's a pretty strong effort so far @ridgeway - thanks for your persistence.

Thanks to @LindseyD for following up then on the initial request, I'm glad there was at least a receptiveness to discuss. I'd love to have VPN capability, hopefully this gets resurrected at some point. I'd bump this to the top of the list of things to check on for the community's behalf, along with mobile boarding pass for groups.

David

kddsandme
Explorer C

I've experienced fairly poor internet quality when attempting use vpn on flights. Feel like I've waisted money in an attempt to be productive for work during flights. 

Is there a real fix here or are we just opining to vent?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@kddsandme wrote:

I've experienced fairly poor internet quality when attempting use vpn on flights. Feel like I've waisted money in an attempt to be productive for work during flights. 

Is there a real fix here or are we just opining to vent?

Unfortunately, the latter. 

lmcmann
Explorer C

Well, I'm on a flight right now trying to VPN into work.  Still broken.  Frigging idiots.  I read the TOS before I bought the wifi checking for VPNs specifically.  No mention, so I thought I was good.  In fact, once I bought it, it worked fine on the ground before we took off.  Once in the air though, nothing.  Tunnel connects, packets head out, but nothing ever comes back.  I'm a network engineer and have tried several things including nonstandard ports.  Bupkis.  I'm surprised that it actually does the initial handshake.  There must be packet inspection for data coming in, and none for data leaving.  Not very secure, if you're actually trying to keep people from being malicious.  Anyway, don't buy the wifi if you need vpn service.  I'll be requesting a refund.

9/12/18

lmcmann
Explorer C
Here's an interesting tidbit I found while googling around about this. I have VyperVpn installed as well. I succesfully connected to Vyper, then did my work vpn and it actually worked, for small values of worked. I did get an RDP to come up. For about 15 seconds, then it died out. Ran a speed test and was getting less than 0.2mbit. When I asked around on the plane, everyone was having issues. So if you have to fly on SW, layer your VPNs, it seems to work. I think it has to be a vpn that runs over 80 or 443 though. Others mentioned trying every major vpn type (Open, etc) with none working. I believe my issues were more general throughput, not actual functionality. Still total BS though. It's fine if you want to filter vpns. You just have to tell me up front, so I can make informed choices. Like who to fly with.

vpnless_dude
Explorer C

February 2019 - Unable to Access VPN

Surprising this has been a known outstanding issue for years.  I don't have this problem on other airlines.  This could be a dealbreaker for flying Southwest for business trips.

I can connect to my work VPN provider, but the client is unable to contact my policy server.  This means I am unable to do anything through my VPN.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@vpnless_dude wrote:

February 2019 - Unable to Access VPN

Surprising this has been a known outstanding issue for years.  I don't have this problem on other airlines.  This could be a dealbreaker for flying Southwest for business trips.

I can connect to my work VPN provider, but the client is unable to contact my policy server.  This means I am unable to do anything through my VPN.

I've only had intermittent success with a VPN, or specifically making a remote desktop connection after establishing the VPN. VPN and drive mapping worked a little better.

I haven't even tried this at all lately though due to the poor performance, now I just bring a thumb drive with the files I need.

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@vpnless_dude

I was thinking about using my Mobile phone, cause it acts as a router. I probably use it next time.