Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: In-Flight Wifi - Issue

lrparks
Explorer C

Same issue for me today- pay for inflight wifi and will not connect to VPN making the $8 wifi charge for an hour long flight worthless as this connection is essential for what I need to do.  If it doens't work at least let people know so they don't waste their money.

lrparks
Explorer C

Same issue for me today- pay for inflight wifi and will not connect to VPN making the $8 wifi charge for an hour long flight worthless as this connection is essential for what I need to do.  If it doens't work at least let people know so they don't waste their money.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I wouldn't purchase wifi in the future if your primary goal was to achieve a VPN connection.

It has been pretty definitive from posts on here and my own experience that if you are depending on VPN connections, don't bother, you'll need to plan on something else to work on from your local drive or "light browsing" over regular internet.

Email is usually good, reading articles, basic websites. Any large bandwidth I would download in advance and work from the local hard drive.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

lgb1
Explorer C

Ping...just noting its mid-February 2018 and VPN access on Southwest flights is still not working.

sue_ewig
Explorer C

It has been almost a year since SWA said they would fix the VPN through WIFI issue, but still nothing. Does anyone have an update on this? 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@sue_ewigwrote:

It has been almost a year since SWA said they would fix the VPN through WIFI issue, but still nothing. Does anyone have an update on this? 

Sadly, the wheels of IT change at Southwest churn slowly. Faster when the change is directly related to the bottom line and dictated by management, but imperceptibly plodding when a (relatively) minor customer request, and seemingly full-stop when it involves an outside vendor.

bargedoug
Explorer C
Can't get on the VPN. $8 down the tubes, stranded unable to monitor work I started at the airport

bargedoug
Explorer C

End of the year? Ok, I will fly another airline until then. Can you email me when things are fixed? Jetblue, superb wifi for free, VPN worked. Not sure what happened here. Did you purposely turn off VPN access?

Thanks Doug

jhayden22
Explorer C

Although I appreciate the refund, I don’t plan to use your current version of “Wifi”. It’s just a terrible experience.

I’ve done speed tests occasionally & when you’re download speed is 0.1mbps (no exaggeration), it’s just a waste of time.

When you have a better WiFi technology I’ll try it again.
In the meantime I’ll continue to use your air service because you guys are the best at getting me where I want to go.

I’d be happy to discuss this further by Phone 

Jay

MedlockOhana
Explorer C

Do we just contact them for refund? Had so much work to do this morning on an hour flight and connected to a 3 hour flight and nothing worked for me not even text. 😞