Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Inappropriate flight deck comments on masking

SanFranJosh
Explorer C

Re:  inappropriate flight deck comments on Govt. Regulations, Flight 2873, 8/11/21 LAS to SFO leg

The flight deck prior to the flight discussed masking requirements with gratuitous comments that many groups were opposed and they were hoping for changes to the required provisions.  This was unnecessary in tone and spirit; fortunately, no passenger followed up on this.

Politicizing public health issues does have unfortunate consequences.  Per the Wall St. Journal, your company the next day (8/12) advised potential 3Q losses due to Delta variant issues, and the CDC head the same day commented that politicizing COVID has created real headwinds in combatting this.

One would hope your pilots would wish economic/public psychology conditions that keep their livelihoods intact, but I guess there are outliers.

In any event, I feel this was inappropriate, and would hope you can systemwide remind all flight crews that courtesy and apolitical masking advice is the more desirable result.

Respectfully,

SanFranJosh

PS:  855-234-4654, option 5, does not answer to provide email address.  Real problems with registering concerns with SWA other than general mailbox.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Inappropriate flight deck comments on masking

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Send your comments directly to Southwest by clicking on "Contact Us" at the bottom of this page. 

--TheMiddleSeat

gsking
Aviator C

Rather nebulous comments you made there,  but it sounds like you're complaining that the pilots mentioned wishing the mask mandate on aircraft would be over soon?  Perhaps because it was recently extended from September to January,  and they were being apologetic to you and the other passengers for the inconvenience? 

So... you think that's politicizing the debate and it hurt your feelings,  because you'd rather the pilots concur with and reinforce your personal desire for Draconian mask enforcement?

Just so we're on the same page for your grievance.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I personally would also find it unacceptable for a pilot, or any airline employee, to express to passengers their complaints regarding current regulations they are tasked with enforcing.

There are enough morons on planes these days who feel that rules don't apply to them, and some react violently when reminded that they do. The last thing needed now is to have an airline employee add fuel to the fire.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

Rather nebulous comments you made there,  but it sounds like you're complaining that the pilots mentioned wishing the mask mandate on aircraft would be over soon?  Perhaps because it was recently extended from September to January,  and they were being apologetic to you and the other passengers for the inconvenience? 

So... you think that's politicizing the debate and it hurt your feelings,  because you'd rather the pilots concur with and reinforce your personal desire for Draconian mask enforcement?

Just so we're on the same page for your grievance.

Their comments were pretty clear to me. And without reading into things with my personal biases and making huge assumptions.

FYI: The mask mandate extension wasn't announced until August 17, well after the flight in question.

bec102896
Aviator A

Unfortunately the 855-234-4654 is no longer an option to reach customer relations you would need to send an email through the website or you can send Southwest a DM on Facebook or Twitter.