Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Inoperable Wifi on Flights: Entirely too frequent these days

mfc513
Explorer A

Thanks for adding your thoughts, too, Blake!

Here's to hoping! If you have a moment, maybe you could email Customer Service, too? 

It probably won't help, but it might... Especially if we continue to prod them. 🙂

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@bec102896 Right?! It is easy to make a joke about the new friend, and I get why they do that, but if you travel for work, you need that time to be productive! 

-A List, Companion Pass holder

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I am happy to report that the wifi performed perfectly on my flight today!

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Once again, on a -700 today, the entertainment qas fully functuonal, but i was not able to authenticate to the Wi-Fi browsing. This was true on all our devices .

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@elijahbrantley wrote:

Once again, on a -700 today, the entertainment qas fully functuonal, but i was not able to authenticate to the Wi-Fi browsing. This was true on all our devices .

I was going to test the access to SouthwestAirCommunity.com on my recent flight from BWI, but couldn't because the wifi was out. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

grsDEN
Explorer C

You are not alone!

I'll preface my comments with, I LUV SWA and have been a companion pass member or several years now.  But as a weekly business traveler on SWA, the increasingly inconsistent wifi is beginning to become an issue.  Even if the 'green light' above the pilot's door is on, that no longer means wifi is working.  I flew from ATL-DEN today and 2.5 hours  without wifi was incredibly frustrating and left me unable to get some work I was planning to take care of during my flight.  It's was frustrating enough for me to come home, create an account on this community so I could check to see if others were experiencing the same issues and, sadly, I'm not alone!   It's at the point for me where about 50% of the time, I have wifi issues.   Again, I do understand how amazing it is to be flying at 39K feet and connected to the web and how there are so many factors that can play into connectivity - but on the occasion that I do fly other airlines, I've never experienced the number of issues I've encountered with SWA wifi AND the other airlines wifi speed is much better.  I love you SWA, but please, please, please..... figure out this wifi issue!

Stephanieumd
Explorer C

Same experience here. I’m on a plane right now and they’ve announced WiFi inop. I can’t see dates of responses on this thread, so I will tell you that the date is 10/7/18. I fly SWA Twice each week, and it’s been about 50/50 the last several months. 

DenverD
Explorer C

Did Southwest forget to pay the internet bill?  I fly weekly and losing 3 to 4 hours of productivity is enough to make me switch my primary airline.  Anyone know if other airlines have a better wifi record?  I am sure I can get my companion pass status moved over...

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@DenverD wrote:

Did Southwest forget to pay the internet bill?  I fly weekly and losing 3 to 4 hours of productivity is enough to make me switch my primary airline.  Anyone know if other airlines have a better wifi record?  I am sure I can get my companion pass status moved over...

I know you're joking, but if you can "get your companion pass moved over" then you should go for it. 😉

Unfortunately, Southwest's generally mediocre at best internet connectivity seems to have taken a significant downturn in recent months. Hopefully Southwest is listening.

In my experience, most legacy carriers offer much more reliable (granted, more expensive), internet service.

vincenthunter
Explorer C

I definitely can relate.  I'm not trying to bash SW Airlines, but as A-List Preferred I look forward to WIFI on my flights back and forth to Denver.  The last four to five  flights or so WIFI has been down but inflight TV service was running.  I would prioritize the WIFI over your frequent customers over TV.  Without it A-List preferred is pointless. Kinda feel like I've been duped since free wifi was promoted to me as a benefit for A-List Preferred.