Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Insufficient Counter Attendants Almost Missed My Flight

chellyg75
Explorer C

Today was a very frustrating experience. We arrived at BWI with ample time in advance for flight check-in.  The line extended from the flight attendant counter to the end of the marked-off queue area, and only two full-service attendants to check-in customers.  The lack of personnel created a lengthy wait time, rushing through security, and practically missing our flight.  

In addition to the issues mentioned above, the customer behind us attempted to skip his place in the line by speaking to a Southwest attendant; initially, the attendants tried to check him in when another customer pointed out the unfairness of the situation; later, to skip him in the line before us and check him in.  Like him, most of us in the line risked missing our flights.  We had to run to our gate on a last call overhead page done, had there been more attendants, this whole situation could have been mitigated.  

I am really disappointed by this whole experience!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Insufficient Counter Attendants Almost Missed My Flight

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

I’m sorry to hear that! Since this is a customer to customer forum if you wanted to leave this feedback directly to Southwest use one of the Contact Customer Relations methods. 

That’s no bueno for someone skipping the line, I’d let someone go in front of me if they were imminently missing their flight but it sounds like you were in that position yourself, as we’re probably many others.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Actually this reminds me of a guy one time trying to jump ahead at MCO once in the TSA line, his flight was in half an hour. Wait your turn buddy, we’re fifteen minutes out. (Made it.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry to hear of your problems.

In the future, remember that you do have options that do not require an interaction with an agent.

You can get your boarding pass yourself, and you can self tag your bags and then turn them over to the airline.

That might have made it easier on you.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

What exactly is your definition of "ample time"?  Hopefully you considered it is still holiday travel season during which extra time should be allowed.

--TheMiddleSeat

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

There could be multiple reasons why they were understaffed on that particular morning.  Not to go into all of them, but I've worked in the food industry where on a constant basis somebody wouldn't/couldn't show up for work and it was also during high customer time.  We did the best we could, and honestly, we weren't the ones who were the blame.  So without knowing anything else, it's hard to give you an answer, nor any sympathy.  We are all just sad that it had to happen.  As mentioned, it is holiday travel, and that should always be expected during that time.   

jksobonya
Aviator A

Was the line you were waiting in to check your bag? I always check in ahead of time, and my boarding pass is already on my phone when I arrive to the airport. The later you wait to check in, the later your boarding position will be. I assume you actually checked in 24 hours ahead, and not a few hours before your flight, and were waiting in line to check a bag. If this is the case, whenever I need to check a bag I use the Curbside Check-in service instead of the "regular" check-in inside, as the inside line is almost always longer than Curbside. It's never been more than 3-4 people in my experience, and most of the time there is no one using Curbside at all, so it's pretty convenient. I don't trust myself to check and tag my own bag 😄 so I've never done the self-check-in yet. 

This year I've also become really good at packing light so I don't even have to check a bag. I can make a tiny "overnight" bag last a whole weekend, and it fits underneath the seat, so for the last few trips I don't even need to go to check-in at all, I just go right to TSA and go through security. 

--Jessica