Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Intoxication Accusation

epierce63
Explorer C

Most recently, I flew from Oakland to Denver on Southwest Flight 2340.   The first leg was 4.5 hours from Maui, and the Oakland flight was delayed by 2.5 hours.  My husband and I got some food at a terminal spot, and I had two glasses of wine before boarding.  The flight was full.  My husband took the isle seat and I took the window.  One of the last passengers on board was an older/middle aged man who took the middle seat between us.  We  talked casually about the reasons for our trips.  All was very friendly.  I was suddenly approached by two flight attendants who said that they could not allow intoxicated people to board the flight and that I was going to need to disembark.  I was completely dumbfounded.  There was absolutely no incidents of any kind, and everything was quite casual.  They asked if my husband was being disturbed by me (they obviously didn't know that we were together).  He said that I had two glasses of wine, and, no, I was not disturbing him.  They did not ask the man sitting beside me.  I only responded that I wasn't certain what they were referring to because there was nothing that was going on that was disturbing... in fact, I had thought the man between us was open to  conversation.  They came back a second time, and pursued the topic of not allowing anyone intoxicated on board, and then finally walked away.  I stayed on board.  I am unable to let this go because I am utterly confused as to what happened and why.  I have thought of one thing and that is the man between us asked if I wanted to take the middle seat and I said that I was fine by the window.  Perhaps this upset him?  I did know that his wife and daughter were seated in the back of the plane.  I had asked him if I was bothering him, and he only shook his head and didn't say another word for the rest of the flight.  So, I wonder if now I may be reading into things, but I now feel that he was attempting to get his family to take our seats or he was upset because I didn't take his seat and let him sit by the window. Did he in fact have anything to do with it, or was I randomly picked by the flight attendants or was he participating in conversation openly but really didn't care to?  This situation has left me very confused and anxious about taking future flights.  Any input would be appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Intoxication Accusation

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Sorry to hear about your incident.

if you were not creating a scene, I have to believe that someone complained. Maybe the FA went to the wrong row,  you were not the real target, and the FA simply talked to the wrong person. I dunno.

you could file a complaint with SW customer relations. Be sure to include date, flight number, originating and destination cities, and if you have them the names of the people that confronted you.

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Contact-Customer-Relations/ta-p/108355

epierce63
Explorer C

I truly appreciate your feedback.  Again, I am unable to let this go and it is consuming my mind trying to figure it out.  It is not exactly an esteem builder and is humiliating to say the least.  Not that what other passengers thought was or is really a priority concern.  I have always chosen Southwest Airlines for their friendliness and flexibility.  I believe that I will speak with Customer Service, perhaps just to put a closure to this.  There was no reason for anyone to complain about any disrespectful behavior from me, really.  Friendly, low-key conversation is all.  Again, thank you for your feedback.  Truly appreciated!

gsking
Aviator C

I'm inclined to go with the probability of mistaken identity.   Strange things happen in life, and often times we never figure out why.   You know you, and you know you were fine.   Trying to figure out other people will always result in frustration. 

I say let it go.   In time, likely you'll get a good chuckle. 

Sorry this happened. 

Briggstr08
Explorer C

We just had this happen 5/24/2021 leaving Nashville. I went to my seat, was a full plane and my friend was in C group. They would let her on,said she was to intoxicated...that she could t walk a straight line.  We had only been in the airport for one hour, there was no way that she could have been. The plane was also full so I had to get off the plane, because I wasn’t leaving her. But I’m very furious with SW. security came over because I was so upset. We needed to get home. Security didn’t even think she was but they don’t have any control over the flights. But I felt they had someone they needed to get on the plane. Very frustrating. I always fly SW but not sure if I will again. And sorry this happened to you. 

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@Briggstr08 wrote:

We just had this happen 5/24/2021 leaving Nashville. I went to my seat, was a full plane and my friend was in C group. They would let her on,said she was to intoxicated...that she could t walk a straight line.  We had only been in the airport for one hour, there was no way that she could have been. The plane was also full so I had to get off the plane, because I wasn’t leaving her. But I’m very furious with SW. security came over because I was so upset. We needed to get home. Security didn’t even think she was but they don’t have any control over the flights. But I felt they had someone they needed to get on the plane. Very frustrating. I always fly SW but not sure if I will again. And sorry this happened to you. 

Sorry to hear of your bad experience.

The people that might be able to do something about this are the people in customer relations.

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Contact-Customer-Relations/ta-p/108355

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Obviously I can't make any sot of judgement about you and your particular situation so who knows what really happened.  I will say that I have met plenty of people that only had 2 glasses of wine and don't think they are acting any differently or behaving in a way that would indicate any sort of intoxication, BUT they certainly are.  Maybe some behavioral cues from you combined with a hairline trigger crew was the combination that led to the discussion.

--TheMiddleSeat

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

I'd understand cause for being upset if they removed you. Heck, it doesn't even seem like they are were being harsh with you. For whatever reason, they believed that you might have been intoxicated, and they seem to have attempted to assert if that was true while they were still on the ground where it wouldn't have been too much of an issue. Just let it go. You weren't publicly humiliated, and it doesn't appear to have been a major event. Do you want SWA to compensate you in someway? Is that the point?

jksobonya
Aviator A

This is a pretty wild story - how could Southwest - or any airline, for that matter -  remove someone from a flight for having 2 glasses of wine? I can understand someone being completely drunk and badgering people (making them feel uncomfortable in the process) but it doesn't sound like you did this. Strange.

--Jessica

ipsedixit
Frequent Flyer C

Never thought FUI would apply to passengers.

Who would've thunk.