Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Kids and mask argument.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I totally understand that kids under a certain age and their refusal and lack of understanding that they need to wear a mask.  But I just wanted to share with you, ANOTHER, (there are hundreds) instance of a child who died within hours of contracting the COVID.  WHY, would you remotely put your/any child at risk for your comfort of flying?  As a parent, I'd rather be totally frustrated with constant crying and rebellion from my child than to not hear them at all.  When will people realize, yes, children seem to be less of the population who become ill from COVID, but there are still those from infants to 17 that have contracted COVID and died.  

https://www.koat.com/article/9-year-old-boy-dies-hours-after-becoming-sick-with-covid-19/35387718

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Kids and mask argument.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

It's worth mentioning that children two and over are required to wear a mask -- previously by SW and now by the federal government.  That latter part puts pressure on parents and children two and over to comply.

It's also worth mentioning that sometimes families have no choice in the travel: family obligations, deaths, health needs, etc.

Hopefully across the board folks will obey the mask mandate if they choose to fly. Otherwise, there will be serious consequences.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Kids and mask argument.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@elijahbrantley 

"It's also worth mentioning that sometimes families have no choice in the travel: family obligations, deaths, health needs, etc."

Totally agree, which is why I didn't take the hard-line stance of "if you can't control them then you shouldn't fly.  

If I witnessed somebody struggle with making a child comply, I'd be sympathetic to the situation and not chastise them, probably would offer some suggestions.  

Re: Kids and mask argument.

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

"family obligations, deaths, "

These two are optional, in my opinion. That is to say I don't have any family that would object to my not wanting to fly with a child during a pandemic regardless of the obligation or funeral.

Everyone views things differently of course and everyone's situation is unique.