Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Kindle fire and on board movies

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Yinzara wrote:
There is a work around for this issue but you need WiFi access on board or you must do it before you depart. It requires the Chrome browser which is not available on the Amazon app store. Search Google for 'download Google chrome apk' and use a third party site to download the apk. Once downloaded, touch it in the Silk download screen to install. You may have to go into security settings for your Kindle to enable installing apps from unknown sources. Once installed, touch the three dots button and select 'desktop site'. Then browse to southwestwifi.com in Chrome and you should be able to watch any movie or live tv right in the browser.

I tend to agree with what you said. I use a chromebook and have no issues with SW wifi access.

However SW   proclaims that chrome is not compatible

StLThrash
Explorer C

Can you give directions on how to do this?  I've never attempted.  Both of my kids have the newest version of the Kindle Fire HD and wasn't able to download the Southwest App.  I did download a couple movies onto the devices for them, but having the app and ability to use it on board would help.  Thanks!

Coloradocatfish
Explorer C

The onboard movies aren't downloaded, they are watched through the Southwest app which you must download before your flight.

However, Fire isn't compatible with the SW app, so we're out of luck.

bmschell
Explorer C

You must direct download Chrome and the SW App from a site like apkmirror.

Device security settings must allow installation of apps from unknown sources.

We have several different generations of Fire tablets and they all work.

Companion Passholder, A List Preferred

iossoi
Explorer C

Use an application called NetFlix, which you can watch any favorite program easily.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@iossoi wrote:

Use an application called NetFlix, which you can watch any favorite program easily.

You'd need to purchase wifi (currently $8), but even then Southwest specifically blocks "high-bandwidth applications and websites, including Netflix, HBO GO, and VoIP."

Netflix will allow you to download some content and then watch it offline, but I'm not sure if that's a feature of the Kindle Fire version of the app.