Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

LOST Luggage, Delay, Missed Connection

rebecca_daught
Explorer C

So this awful experience I had flying with this airline all starts two days ago... My flight out of VPS (flight no. 2494) was delayed 3 hours due to weather. This is the beginning of it all, so I was not quite over the edge yet will anger. We had a connection in BWI from VPS to RDU. So because of our 3 hour delay out of VPS, we were going to miss our connection in BWI. After going to the desk at the gate and asking for recommendations, I was informed that I would not be able to find another flight available from BWI to RDU for TWO DAYS. Keep in mind, this is a 5 hour drive and neither airport is small.... I then asked for financial accommodations for a place to stay and meals but received none due to the issues being "weather-related". I may be mistaken but since when can I control the weather? Didn't think I could. I also have had these round-trip reservations for over two months now. 

So fast forward, we had to take a bus ride to get out of BWI. However, prior to us leaving VPS to go to BWI, I requested southwest to send my baggage through the baggage claim in BWI. They agreed and said it was no problem. After finally boarding flight 2494 out of VPS, I watched my bags and my boyfriend's bag be loaded onto the plane. After landing in BWI, our bags were nowhere to be found and I spent two hours with the Southwest baggage service office trying to locate my baggage. All they could tell me was that the bags were checked into BWI, however, they had no clue where they went afterwards. I ended up having to leave without my bags. In the meantime, they told me that they might or might not end up at RDU the next day and that "RDU would call me". Well you can guess that did not happen.

The next day arrives after our sleepless night on the bus. I cannot figure out where my bags are still after calling Southwest's baggage services. However, they DID inform a report had been filed for the missing items, but did not provide a number for that report. Later that day, I call again. They said the bags had arrived in RDU inbound on flight 194 and to call RDU Southwest Baggage Services' office to have the bags shipped to me and assured me that they would be shipped. 

Fast forward to today, I called more than once and left more than one voicemail and received no word from the office. However, when I finally called again and got a hold of someone, the individual claimed they did not know my bags were there and had 150 bags sitting there to go through... My thing is, you should not have that many missing/lost/unaccounted for bags in one airport for one airline. That just displays error. The individual then states that BWI will have to transfer the claim report before RDU can send me my luggage. The individual calls back an hour later and informs be that BWI states they never filed a report. Therefore to receive my bags, I am going to have to drive 3 hours round trip to pick them up, or PAY even up to $200+ to have them shipped to me. This is unacceptable to say the least. The worst customer service and flying experience I have ever had has been with this airline. There is no excuse for this negligence and treatment I have experienced. I have valuable items and so many clothes that are in those bags. And all of this has been the error of this airline, however I am the one paying. If you ever want to fly southwest or think about it, DO NOT DO IT. I expect reimbursement at this point, along with my bags shipped to me free of charge. I will make sure to inform anyone I can of the horrible experiences we had in this short time span. I will make it known all over social media as well. There truly was no excuse for this and they are not being held accountable for their actions. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: LOST Luggage, Delay, Missed Connection

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

It's fun when people clearly have no recognition of the impact weather can have on an airline's operations.

You're welcome to submit your comments directly to Southwest, use the contact us link at the bottom of the page and send a message.

--TheMiddleSeat

rebecca_daught
Explorer C

The delay was not what I had an issue with. It was all the events following the delay and their mishandling of the situation and my luggage, then expecting ME to pay for the luggage they misplaced. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You're welcome to submit your comments directly to Southwest, use the contact us link at the bottom of the page and send a message.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

In the past, when my bags have been delayed, the airline delivered my bags to me.

That's what should happen to you - even if it means someone needs to drive 3 hours to your place.

jksobonya
Aviator A

Yep, weather will do this.

I had a flight in 2019 from PHL to FLL with a layover (I think in Orlando, I forget now) and rain was delaying the incoming flight and I was going to miss the connection. This was one of the few times I had checked a bag. They ended up putting me on a different connection - going from PHL > Chicago 🤣 but when I had asked about my bag, they said they automatically retagged it, and they did. It made it to FLL without any problems. If there are less connecting flights to work with, there isn't much that they can do.

--Jessica