Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

LUV voucher

Hoosier1
Explorer A

One of my flights was canceled. I received a LUV voucher. Should the person traveling on my companion pass receive one as well? 

13 REPLIES 13

Re: LUV voucher

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

That is ultimately up to SW. In my mind, I think that is reasonable to expect for you Companion even if they did not technically "pay" for the flight as they were inconvenienced. But that is my opinion on the matter.

If you did not and want to inquire about more, you can reach out to SW directly via one of the Contact Us methods below.

Good luck!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I'll disagree... someone flying as a free companion should not receive compensation for a cancellation.  The ticket is already free and you can add them to your next flight which you are getting a discount on because of the LUV voucher your received for free.

--TheMiddleSeat

Hoosier1
Explorer A

My ticket was also "free" since I paid in points.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

I'll disagree... someone flying as a free companion should not receive compensation for a cancellation.  The ticket is already free and you can add them to your next flight which you are getting a discount on because of the LUV voucher your received for free.

--TheMiddleSeat

By this logic anyone flying on points shouldn't receive any compensation. Obviously, that's not the case.

True non-revs shouldn't receive compensation as their flight was at no cost to them. This includes those traveling on a guest/buddy pass or a space-available ticket, and others such as employees of other airlines. However, both points fares and companion pass tickets have a cost to them, in that points are earned and have a monetary value, and the companion pass requires significant financial effort to earn.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I didn't say non-revenue for that specific reason. If an individual is spending something, whether it be points or cash, then I think they have a valid claim to compensation.

In my post I said "should not" which just implies that's my opinion of the situation. I also totally know that Southwest will compensate a companion if they were to ask for it, I just don't agree that it's right.

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

I didn't say non-revenue for that specific reason. If an individual is spending something, whether it be points or cash, then I think they have a valid claim to compensation.

In my post I said "should not" which just implies that's my opinion of the situation. I also totally know that Southwest will compensate a companion if they were to ask for it, I just don't agree that it's right.

--TheMiddleSeat

I understand it was your opinion. I'm expressing mine, which is in disagreement, just as yours was to the earlier posts. 😉

Consider this:

Compensation is a customer accommodation given to offset inconvenience. It's not based on the fare paid. You'll receive the same voucher whether you've paid $49 or $449. And the Companion is just as inconvenienced as the CP holder.

If you've received vouchers and used them to fully pay for your flight, and that flight is delayed/cancelled, should you then not receive compensation, since the flight was "free?" Are you not inconvenienced?

Ultimately, saying that Companions aren't due compensation because the fare was "free" is like saying that Companions aren't due the same level of service as the Companion Holder.  And, in my opinion, that's not right.

bec102896
Aviator A

One time I had a long delay and SW issued both my companion and I a voucher so you may just have to ask since its a seperate confirmation number. 

MNhappy
Explorer A

In June we had big travel issues. They sent me a.single voucher at first. I resubmitted the complaint under each member of the party's name. Received a voucher for each of us, including the two companion pass kids. Worth a try. 

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

A few weeks ago, I was flying with an extra seat. I got two LUV vouchers. Extra seat got one, and then I got one a few days later.