Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Level of Service Certainly Has Gone Down

Anubisjeff
Explorer B

My wife and I just returned from Punta Cana, and two things about the flights really bothered me.

I ordered a drink on the flight there.  My credit card was charged and the tiny cup of alcohol and tonic was delivered to me.  I'm old enough to know when I get what I paid for, and there was not a full mini-bottle of vodka in the drink.  If I'm paying top dollar for their beverage service, I want the full bottle for which I paid, not some flight attendant dividing my bottle with another passenger which is what I suspect happened.  I had a tiny cup of mostly tonic water.  I made no fuss on the flight thinking the issue was better addressed here.

Second, what happened to fun flight attendants?  The ones who used to make funny comments, and joke around now and then on the intercom with the passengers.  On both legs of my trip, the flight attendants spoke as quickly as is humanly possible with no hint that they actually had a personality.  I don't care about the instructions for the seat belts, but when they are making announcements pertinent to the flight and landing, they need to slow the hell down and speak clearly.  I understood nothing of what was said on either flight.  They interjected not one bit of humor, which tells me they are just "doing their job," and not acting like the representatives of the company as they used to be.

I miss the old days of Southwest.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Level of Service Certainly Has Gone Down

bec102896
Aviator A

Sorry your disappointed with your recent flights your welcome to share your feedback with southwest by clicking on the contact us link at the bottom of the page and they can pass on your feedback to the appropriate teams for review and coaching. 

Remember flight attendants are there for your safety some are about that while some do like to have fun everyone is different. I've had some that make us laugh the whole flight and others where it is strictly here's the safety brief and now your drink/snack not rude just doing the job. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Anubisjeff wrote:

My wife and I just returned from Punta Cana, and two things about the flights really bothered me.

I ordered a drink on the flight there.  My credit card was charged and the tiny cup of alcohol and tonic was delivered to me.  I'm old enough to know when I get what I paid for, and there was not a full mini-bottle of vodka in the drink.  If I'm paying top dollar for their beverage service, I want the full bottle for which I paid, not some flight attendant dividing my bottle with another passenger which is what I suspect happened.  I had a tiny cup of mostly tonic water. 

The size of the cup Southwest uses to serve drinks has not changed in the 44 years I have been flying the airline. It is no more "tiny" than it was in 1978. When I fly on Southwest and other airlines sometimes I get the mini bottle and sometimes I don't.

I made no fuss on the flight thinking the issue was better addressed here.

Second, what happened to fun flight attendants?  The ones who used to make funny comments, and joke around now and then on the intercom with the passengers.  On both legs of my trip, the flight attendants spoke as quickly as is humanly possible with no hint that they actually had a personality.  I don't care about the instructions for the seat belts, but when they are making announcements pertinent to the flight and landing, they need to slow the hell down and speak clearly.  I understood nothing of what was said on either flight.  They interjected not one bit of humor, which tells me they are just "doing their job," and not acting like the representatives of the company as they used to be.

I miss the old days of Southwest.

Well, I had some "fun" comments from the FA's on my flights yesterday. Sometimes you do and sometimes you don't..  In general FA's are less fun than they were before Covid. 

I think the fact that many have been verbally and physically assaulted may have something to do with that.

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@dfwskier I think his issue was the strength of the drink, not the size of the cup. He seems to indicate that he believes that the FA split the mini-bottle across multiple drinks. *shrugs* I don't see why a FA would do that.

jksobonya
Aviator A

Are we really complaining about alcohol so soon after a 2-year-pandemic-loss of alcoholic beverage service?

--Jessica