Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Lost Laptop... airport Police locates laptop at Scotsboro.,Al, Lost & Found, but they cannot find it

Pamwallace7
Explorer C

Left my laptop on the flight in Tampa.  The Tampa airport policeman, Officer Ferguson is able to gather the following information in the matter of a couple of hours.  

Flight attendant gives it to the gate agent, who takes it to TIA baggage claim. It is Shipped to Scotsboro, Alabama Lost and found (and signed for as Fed Ex leaves the package.
I updated my SW Lost and Found ticket to include this info from the police to include the Found # and the Fed Ex #.  I received a quick response that they have been looking and cannot find my laptop - they never acknowledged the new info or anything. 

So defeated!  My Windows is saying my laptop is now in India.  So how did it go from being signed in to the Alabama Facility to someone turning it on and running the battery down in India.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Lost Laptop... airport Police locates laptop at Scotsboro.,Al, Lost & Found, but they cannot

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry to hear about your lost laptop, but give Southwest a break. It recovers tens of thousands of recovered items and likely hundreds of laptops a year. It 's dealing with more customers than just you, and all of   them are screaming that they are important.. 

What you describe is EXACTLY the process Southwest uses: recovered items are   shipped to Alabama where and attempt to match recovered items with items reported lost.

If you have't already done so, give the airline your laptop's serial number. THAT is the single best way of increasing the odds that you'll get your laptop back.

SW   says the process can take up to 30 days. Let the process work.

I suspect that either:

a) the report that the laptop is in India is wrong .or.

b) the laptop never made it to Alabama ie someone other than SW took it.

Hope you get your laptop back.

Re: Lost Laptop... airport Police locates laptop at Scotsboro.,Al, Lost & Found, but they cannot

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Sorry to hear about your lost laptop, but give Southwest a break. It recovers tens of thousands of recovered items and likely hundreds of laptops a year. It 's dealing with more customers than just you, and all of   them are screaming that they are important.. 

What you describe is EXACTLY the process Southwest uses: recovered items are   shipped to Alabama where and attempt to match recovered items with items reported lost.

If you have't already done so, give the airline your laptop's serial number. THAT is the single best way of increasing the odds that you'll get your laptop back.

SW   says the process can take up to 30 days. Let the process work.

I suspect that either:

a) the report that the laptop is in India is wrong .or.

b) the laptop never made it to Alabama ie someone other than SW took it.

Hope you get your laptop back.

Description of the computer's case if you have any stickers, serial number obviously would be great, they need something personally identifying - they can't send you back a computer that "might" be yours and I'm not sure that they will try to open it up other than charging it.

I don't have it on me right now but I've posted the phone number of the facility before, search for that if you can - leave a message when you call, they don't normally pick up, but they will call you back if they have any info.

If you can ping the computer when they call you back that would be definitive, others on this board have mentioned that this worked for ipads or iphones.

What was the timing of it showing up in India? Hopefully it shows back up in Scotsboro and the international excursion was a blip.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.