Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Lost iPad on Southwest Airlines 1758

daftgirly
Explorer C

I have already filed a missing report with Southwest Airlines within a couple hours of landing, but as it as not been found yet I'm posting here in case the iPad was picked up by a passenger and made it out of the airport and maybe by stroke of luck it they are searching for the owner.

If anyone has insight on the lost and found process and when/how items are entered into the lost item database that would be nice. I am guessing that the longer time passes without them finding it the slimmer the chances of it materializing are.

I left my iPad pro with pencil on the airplane for a flight from Portland PDX to Las Vegas LAS on Monday, March 15.

This was a flight that continued to Tulsa TUL, Houston HOU and New Orleans MSY so it could have ended up any of those places before being discovered.

It's in a black and white case that looks like a composition notebook. It has several stickers - a flower that says Keep Growing, a man's face with a bowl cut, a skull, and others.

This iPad is locked and is useless/worthless without the code. I am an artist and use this as my tool to survive. I will pay a reward and return shipping to me if found, no questions asked.

If found please reply to this post.

Thank you so much!!

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Lost iPad on Southwest Airlines 1758

bec102896
Aviator A

Sorry to hear you left your ipad on the plane. Once items are found they are sent to a central lost and found in Alabama. Once in Alabama they begin the process of trying to find the owner of the item. 

If you didn't put your serial number on your report I would update your report with the serial number or any information about the iPad that would help them determine it is yours and not someone else's

Keep in mind this process does take time so just be patient and hopefully your ipad will be reunited with you soon. 

-Blake

daftgirly
Explorer C

Blake, thanks for the quick reply, that is really good to know!

I did not know if the airport it was found in was the one doing reporting - but knowing that it may be enroute to Alabama first gives me hope that I just need to be patient 🙂

I did add the serial number. Fingers crossed! I'll update this post if it's recovered or there is more info to add, in hopes that it will be helpful to anyone else in a similar situation.

bec102896
Aviator A

Also if you have an iphone I think you can do the tracker to see where your ipad might be. 

-Blake

daftgirly
Explorer C

That's a good idea, unfortunately my iPad does not have a cellular plan, just WiFi - and joining a wifi network can only be done if you are logged into it. So wherever it is right now, it is not connected and I am unable to track it this way. Good thinking though! This incident is making me reconsider getting a data plan for it when I am (hopefully) reunited 🙂

bec102896
Aviator A

I don't think you need a cellular plan to track it 

Here is a help article from Apple that might help. Of course this would be to ease your mind on where your ipad is but you would still have to wait on the process to get the ipad back if its in Alabama or an route there. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201472

-Blake

daftgirly
Explorer C
Solution

I wanted to share a followup with great news - Southwest did find my iPad and getting it returned to me was very efficient and easy. It took 2.5 weeks after I lost it for them to notify me it was found so if anyone is in a similar situation, there is hope.

More info, feel free to skip: 

I will add I had a couple of bizarre interactions with strangers claiming they found my iPad. One obviously trying to extort reward $ without being willing to give proof of finding it. He claimed he was cleaning an airplane and found it and used info he could have found from my lost ad.

The other was not so obvious, a guy claimed he bought it used and when I told him I had lost it he said he didn't want to be involved in my "drama" and hung up on me. I texted him to return it to Southwest if he didn't want to deal with me.

So no idea if this stranger had a guilty conscience or what, I have no explanation for why he would have contacted me otherwise because he never asked for money. But whatever series of events led to it getting back to me I am ever grateful and I am setting up auto backups for my art files now.

dfwskier
Aviator A

I'm glad to hear that your Ipad was returned to you.

That chances of that happening are increased if people can provide distinguishing info about

the item: things like serial numbers.

swtravel
Explorer C

I lost my ipad in a similar manner. Did you used to get emails that the item was not found intermittently? It makes me so anxious that I will not be able to see it again.