Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: MAX-8 MCAS Malfunction

dfwskier
Aviator A

The FAA has announced there is no reason that they know of at the moment to ground the 737-Max aircraft.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FAANews/status/1105192183244750849

chgoflyer
Aviator A

To be clear, their latest statement says that they have no data yet on which to take any actions:

External reports are drawing similarities between this accident and the Lion Air Flight 610 accident on October 29, 2018. However, this investigation has just begun and to date we have not been provided data to draw any conclusions or take any actions.

While the FAA (for the time being) considers MAX aircraft airworthy, it's worth noting that the announcment includes mandated updates to the MCAS system and training requirements within a shorter timeline than originally anticipated (now by April, 2019).

Design changes include:

• MCAS Activation Enhancements
  • MCAS AOA Signal Enhancements
  • MCAS Maximum Command Limit

https://twitter.com/FAANews/status/1105234084454912000

mtj747
Explorer C

You can view Southwest aircraft on their website.  Just clik on your flight number.  If it is a MAX it will show up as 737 MAX8 vs 737-700 or 737-800 etc.  Southwest seems to using this plane for longer flights. 

wader1352
Explorer C

As a former student at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, active Private Pilot, aviation enthusiast and multi-year Companion Pass level frequent flyer on Southwest - I will not personally, or especially with my family, board a 737 MAX generation aircraft until the MCAS issue and associated flight crew training has been addressed.   The chances of an issue on any given flight are low, but the severity (150+ souls lost), are so great that I can’t accept the current stoic ‘we’ll keep flying until the data set tells us otherwise’ mentality.  Would you bet your family’s life on a small, but real, chance that you would all perish?  This needs to be addressed in an aggressive, proactive fashion. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@wader1352 wrote:

As a former student at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, active Private Pilot, aviation enthusiast and multi-year Companion Pass level frequent flyer on Southwest - I will not personally, or especially with my family, board a 737 MAX generation aircraft until the MCAS issue and associated flight crew training has been addressed.   The chances of an issue on any given flight are low, but the severity (150+ souls lost), are so great that I can’t accept the current stoic ‘we’ll keep flying until the data set tells us otherwise’ mentality.  Would you bet your family’s life on a small, but real, chance that you would all perish?  This needs to be addressed in an aggressive, proactive fashion. 

Actually, it has been addressed in an aggressive proactive fashion.

1) The airline is letting people change flights if they don't want to fly a MAX

2) Pilots say training and equipment modifications have been done:

"We now have Extended Envelope Training (EET) in addition to our regular annual training and since
SWAPA and others have brought awareness to the MCAS issue, we have additional resources to
successfully deal with either a legitimate MCAS triggered event or a faulty triggered MCAS event.

SWAPA also has pushed hard for Angle of Attack (AOA) sensor displays to be put on all our aircraft
and those are now being implemented into the fleet. All of these tools, in addition to SWAPA Pilots
having the most experience on 737s in the industry, give me no pause that not only are our aircraft
safe, but you are the safest 737 operators in the sky."

3) Pilots say the aircraft is safe:

"SWAPA is extremely confident that our entire fleet, including the MAX, is safe based on
the facts, intelligence, data, and information we presently have. We fully support Southwest Airlines'
decision to continue flying the MAX and the FAA's findings to date.
I will continue to put my family, friends, and loved ones on any Southwest flight and the main reason is
you, the Pilots of SWAPA"

4) So why would pilots be willing to put family members on MAXs or fly them themselves if they were not safe?