Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: MY FAMILY'S SOUTHWEST FLIGHT OF HORROR

PetertheProphet
Adventurer B

The "quarantine" you mentioned is based on executive order, not codified statute. So please do tell how I encourage anyone to "break the laws" when neither mask mandates nor quarantine measures are a part of established law. 

I mean, if you desire mandatory quarantine to be made a part of Hawaii state law, then contact your local representative (assuming you live in HI). Simply demanding that the governor dictate the health of the masses isn't how law is made in this country.

jksobonya
Aviator A

I stopped reading as soon as I saw "2 year old" and "mask". 

The only horror show here is you not abiding by federal regulations. While you may not agree with the practice, children 2 and up are required to wear a mask on an airplane.

That's it. That's the post. 

--Jessica

PetertheProphet
Adventurer B

The mask mandate is based on an executive order, not an actual regulation. Did you know that pilots aren't required to wear face masks while in the flight deck? They only put it on when interacting with flight attendants or passengers. 

If true, then it shows that Southwest cares more for its pilots than the 2 year old children of paying customers. Pilots can be replaced via automation (as they likely will be within a couple decades); children, however, cannot.

But Southwest gate agents and flight attendants (and shockingly, many customers!) have no regard for the law or human life. What this poor mother is saying is that she was booted off BECAUSE she politely declined that her 2 year old be smothered with a medical device (face mask). 

And yes, masking children that young can result in death if not permanent lung injury. But again, it's a moot point because Southwest does not care for human life; they don't even care for customer revenue either. 

Why would they when they keep receiving taxpayer dollars and newly printed money from the Federal Reserve? 

shuebschma01
Explorer A

Why did you book the flight if you were didn't not agree to rules?  It's pretty well known everyone is required to wear a mask ages 2 and up...your child is not exempt.  It's your poor preparation that caused this incident.  You should be embarrassed and ashamed of what happened.

PetertheProphet
Adventurer B

I'm all for following the rules, but the LAW overrides Southwest policy. Southwest cannot demand that passengers wear medical devices on their faces. They aren't licensed to practice medicine. 

And basing some whimsical policy on a random executive order isn't how you law is made. Only Congress can make laws. Until there is an actual codified statute EXPLICITLY stating that 2 year olds be forced to wear face masks, bringing up the old "following rules" platitude is senseless. 

Gstevenson
Explorer A

To all you Southwest contributors that say, and I paraphrase, “federal regulation, your fault, suck it up, and comply”. Seems you folks have been dropped on your collective heads once too often. The family understood the rule....the take away is the hostility and hate spewed by this blond headed attendant. Hate by flight personnel is common on other airlines and was completely lacking on Southwest, that is, until 2020. Message is, if attendants can’t treat customers with care and respect, find another job. And Southwest need to do a better job of weeding out these folks. 

MY FAMILY'S SOUTHWEST FLIGHT OF HORROR

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@Gstevenson I guess you were dropped on your collective head along with us if you think that the flight attendant being blonde has anything to do with this or any other post at all.  Yes, we can infer what your comment is leading to, but I've found for the past 20 years, (Don't believe the hair color you see is natural)  Lastly, maybe a more tongue in cheek approach could have been directed towards this poster, however, if you dare take the time to even read 20% of her post, it appears she started the attack of character.  

PetertheProphet
Adventurer B

I did re-read her post. The whole issue began BECAUSE the two year old child wasn't wearing a medical device (aka face mask). So it was the flight attendants who initiated the confrontation, not the mother. 

And Southwest policy does not override the law of the land. Fact of the matter is that UNLESS one is licensed to practice medicine, they cannot demand that a mother force a medical device on her 2 year old baby. 

Are you even aware of what masking does to a child that young? Southwest could demand that ALL passengers sample heroin if they want to fly to their destination, but any whimsical policy they come up with does not override the law. 

I appreciate a good debate, but being dishonest and lying about the mother initiating the confrontation doesn't help your argument.

PetertheProphet
Adventurer B

I'd have to disagree. Rude flight attendants and Southwest Airlines have always gone together like peanut butter and jelly. The former CEO even banned an old lady from Southwest because she (rightfully) complained about how cramped the seats were. 

So as you can see, the ONLY reason why we still fly Southwest is because

a) We get to choose our own seats.

b) It's usually (slightly) cheaper than flying Delta or Alaskan Airlines. 

However, you still used to encounter pleasant flight attendants UNTIL the whole masking issue began. That's when the flight attendants decided to go on power trips and abuse paying customers along with their children. 

What type of a lunatic demands that a mother force a medical device on her 2 year old? And how is it the flight attendant's business? 

Assuming the other posters on here aren't paid shills, they seem to lack a soul.