Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

Mask non compliance

New Arrival

I flew from Nashville to Phoenix yesterday and was very angry and disappointed to see someone behind me and two people across from me with their masks off for the entire flight. How dare Southwest “require” passengers to wear a mask and then not enforce it! I don’t like wearing one but I sure did except when I was eating. Is that a form of prejudice? That certain people are allowed to not wear their mask while others are required to? Has anyone else experienced this?

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

Re: Mask non compliance

Top Contributor

I guess you did not know that federal law requires airlines to let people who claim a medical need to be exempted from the mask rule?

Re: Mask non compliance

New Arrival

I did hear that. So now I know what to tell them next time I fly! Apparently they are not allowed to ask for proof of your medical condition.

Highlighted

Re: Mask non compliance

New Arrival

It is correct that some people have valid medical reasons for not wearing them but it's private medical information. Also, did you know that even the WHO (World Health Organization) is saying masks are ineffective? This is as of June 2020 (Dr. Fauci himself stated this along with others.) If you need cases studies, I'm happy to provide them. There are a lot. It really is a false sense of security and in fact, detrimental to peoples health as also proven by numerous studies. Even more evidence will come out in time.

In addition, the WHO has said (also June 2020) that it is very rare for CV to be transferred from an asymptomatic person so if someone isn't coughing and sneezing, you don't need to worry. I've always stepped away from people coughing and sneezing anyway. If you do the research, you will feel much safer about being around people without masks. You can still wear yours though! 

Lastly, remember there is a 99.6% - 99.8% recovery rate! (Exact number is debatable still but no one argues that range.) Those are excellent odds. I hope this helps at least ease some worry. Take care.

Highlighted

Re: Mask non compliance

Active Member

Ummm, NO.

 

The actual statement is "Dr. Anthony Fauci says Americans who don’t wear masks may ‘propagate the further spread of infection’"

 

The corrected statement is "The W.H.O.’s officials words were terribly misleading, but the organization quickly clarified that social distancing and masks are not just for those who clearly have symptoms."

 

The death rate is currently around 5.85% - the number you are quoting includes the deaths as "no longer have the disease".

 

Please check snopes: <https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fauci-masks-no-longer-needed/>

Highlighted

Re: Mask non compliance

Top Contributor

@riskanything wrote:

It is correct that some people have valid medical reasons for not wearing them but it's private medical information. Also, did you know that even the WHO (World Health Organization) is saying masks are ineffective? This is as of June 2020 (Dr. Fauci himself stated this along with others.) If you need cases studies, I'm happy to provide them. There are a lot. It really is a false sense of security and in fact, detrimental to peoples health as also proven by numerous studies. Even more evidence will come out in time.

In addition, the WHO has said (also June 2020) that it is very rare for CV to be transferred from an asymptomatic person so if someone isn't coughing and sneezing, you don't need to worry. I've always stepped away from people coughing and sneezing anyway. If you do the research, you will feel much safer about being around people without masks. You can still wear yours though! 

Lastly, remember there is a 99.6% - 99.8% recovery rate! (Exact number is debatable still but no one argues that range.) Those are excellent odds. I hope this helps at least ease some worry. Take care.


 

 

Almost everything in this post is incorrect.

 

 

Highlighted

Re: Mask non compliance

Active Member

Even if you can’t wear a mask due to medical reasons, why can’t you wear a face shield?

Highlighted

Re: Mask non compliance

Top Contributor

@ffflyer wrote:

Even if you can’t wear a mask due to medical reasons, why can’t you wear a face shield?


I think you could wear one. Medical staff would wear both - the shield works to protect the wearer from droplets or spray coming at you, however they are much to loose to impede particles coming out of the wearer's mouth and nose though so not a help to rest of the passengers - a mask would still be required for that.

 

 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.
Highlighted

Re: Mask non compliance

Active Member

@DancingDavidE  I don't think that's correct. However, with so little really known you may be right.

 

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200430/face-shields-a-more-effective-deterrent-to-covid#1

 

"Reporting in the April 29 Journal of the American Medical Association, experts led by Dr. Eli Perencevich, of the university's department of internal medicine, and the Iowa City VA Health Care System, said the face shield's moment may have come.

While the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention began advocating the use of cloth masks to help stop COVID-19 transmission in April, laboratory testing "suggests that cloth masks provide [only] some filtration of virus-sized aerosol particles."

According to Perencevich's group, "face shields may provide a better option."

Highlighted

Re: Mask non compliance

Top Contributor

@ffflyer wrote:

@DancingDavidE  I don't think that's correct. However, with so little really known you may be right.

 

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200430/face-shields-a-more-effective-deterrent-to-covid#1

 

"Reporting in the April 29 Journal of the American Medical Association, experts led by Dr. Eli Perencevich, of the university's department of internal medicine, and the Iowa City VA Health Care System, said the face shield's moment may have come.

While the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention began advocating the use of cloth masks to help stop COVID-19 transmission in April, laboratory testing "suggests that cloth masks provide [only] some filtration of virus-sized aerosol particles."

According to Perencevich's group, "face shields may provide a better option."


They’ll need to keep looking at the face shields (I’m sure they will) it does seem clear to protect the wearer, and I can see the argument that on an airplane in close quarters it could help if the person next to you was a sick person.

 

I haven’t seen anything definitive on the face shield protecting others if it is the wearer that is sick, the official resources all recommend cloth masks that are tight fitting.

 

 

 

 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.