Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Mask on Flights--No Exceptions

Austin_pert98
New Arrival

Because there is a new video on Twitter circulating seemingly weekly about a young child/family getting kicked off a flight because the child isn't wearing a mask, now is a good time to remind everyone that this rule will be enforced at all times whether you like it or not. 

If you are a parent, and you plan on taking your young child on a flight with you, and do not plan to keep a mask on your child's face the entire time, do your fellow passengers a favor and do not fly. If your young child is not an experienced mask wearer, have them practice wearing a mask before the flight. I don't care if you/your child got away with not having a mask on during a prior trip. No excuses. "We were not forced to wear a mask last time we flew," or "This is how we've done it the whole time" isn't going to fly. 

I was on a flight two weeks ago that took off 30 minutes late because they had to remove a mom and her two-year-old because the child wouldn't take wearing the mask. That is unacceptable. I deserve to get to my destination on time. Other people have places to be and will not accept your party's behavior. 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Mask on Flights--No Exceptions

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

There is a process to request an exemption from the mask mandate, but you must complete the paperwork before the flight and cannot just show up with a note saying you should be exempt.

More info here

--TheMiddleSeat

jksobonya
Rising Star

Yes, masks are currently required for children 2 and up on airplanes. This is obviously a hot button topic, because there are many varied opinions on whether children should even need to wear masks at all, which is why this constantly makes headlines whenever there is a parent/child/mask situation on an airplane. 

Hopefully the rules for children wearing masks will be relaxed in the months to come. 

--Jessica

bwallet

The FAA requires masks for ages 2 and up. While airlines have been told to offer an exception process for those who can't due to a disability, simply being 2 is not going to ever be considered a disability to get a waiver. The policy set up by Southwest means that there will be virtually no waivers. 

I am quite happy with this. I want as safe of a flying environment as possible because I have to fly to keep my job. Yes, the current risk to young children is low, it is evolving as newer variants are proving to be much more virulent with younger and younger people.

tmav
New Arrival

Dear Austin:

You do realize that there are people who cannot wear a mask, don't you.  Developmentally challenged, those under 6 (don't understand why their faces are covered and/or have problems breathing) and my personal favorite - those of us with medical disabilities.  I'm assuming that you are relatively healthy, no major issues.  I, on the other hand, have had open-heart surgery, am diabetic, have lung damage (both lungs) and cannot wear a mask (told so by my pulmonologist and cardiologist in a letter).  I pass out with anything over my face because my lungs cannot clear out the CO2 (carbon dioxide) fast enough.  Obviously, you either have no compassion for the disabled or feel that discriminating against us is perfectly alright (the correct definition for either of these is "bigot").  Don't like my statement?  Tough!  If you feel that banning people with documented medical disabilities from flying will help you get to your destination on time, that's a sad commentary on people.  Even more so on you.

Now, for SWA and its new/improved policy for we, the disabled.  Fill out the form, provide documentation, have it reviewed by a "medical" council, get covid tests before boarding (max. 3 days before/after).  Sounds good, until you read the last policy:  only one person can be on the airplane that has less than 50% occupancy.  If more than 50%, you're kicked off (which, in my opinion, is what they wanted anyways).    Nothing about if you make the first leg okay but get kicked off the 2nd leg of your flight.  Nothing about compensation for being kicked off, hotel/food compensation since you (the passenger) followed all of their rules), what happens if it's more than 3 days and you still can't get a seat.  

I'm sure that this letter won't make it to the board because it isn't all happy about SWA and their wonderful policies and wonderful fliers.  I'll be quite surprised if it does.  

tmav

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@tmav wrote:

I'm sure that this letter won't make it to the board because it isn't all happy about SWA and their wonderful policies and wonderful fliers.  I'll be quite surprised if it does.  

tmav

Hello @tmav. I certainly understand your frustration and regret that we've let you down with the mask exemption. It's important to explain that The Southwest Community is a Customer to Customer support forum, so we are not equipped to document your concerns or suggestions here. I encourage you to Contact Customer Relations for assistance. 

Thank you,

Nicole
Community Manager

bwallet

@tmav Might I suggest that if your lungs are in such bad shape as you describe, you might not want to fly right now? You sound pretty vulnerable, and there is a respiratory virus that has caused a pandemic. It honestly doesn't sound like you would come out alive if you caught it.

Passenger1C
Rising Star

@Austin_pert98  it’s obvious that you are not a parent. Get your vaccine and move on. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion