Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Mask wearing in flight (June 4-8, 2020) NOT required from TAMPA? WHY?? NOT COOL.

Katexr
Explorer C

Before departing BNA (Nashville) the flight attendants announced that all passengers need to war a mask. I felt pretty safe flying from Nashville to Tampa, and the middle seat is always empty.

The return flight from Tampa (flight 1500- June 8 ) was a different story, no one announced that mask wearing on the plane was required and a young man (4 seats away from me) and 4 rows back from the cockpit (in clear view of SW Flight Attendants) NEVER once approached him and asked him to wear a mask.  If the staff can't do what is required to ensure passenger safety I don't feel as comfortable flying SW at these times. Come on SW - step it up!

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Mask wearing in flight (June 4-8, 2020) NOT required from TAMPA? WHY?? NOT COOL.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Come on katexr -- some people can't wear masks. How do you know he wasn't one of them?

As a matter of fact federal law let's any person declare that he/she can't wear a mask -- and under penalty of law, no one can force the issue - not on Southwest or American, or United or even Jet Blue.

And you are all hot and bothered about one single person?  Gimme a break.

This happens on every single airline on every single day.

Re: Mask wearing in flight (June 4-8, 2020) NOT required from TAMPA? WHY?? NOT COOL.

Katexr
Explorer C

Clearly  you are the one who is hot and bothered.

My issue was that he wasn't asked. I did not get in his face about it, I never spoke to him, but I felt he should be asked by the crew.

I think my request is reasonable, for my safety and for the safety of my 92 year old parents, who I hope to engage with again.  If you don't understand that, we have nothing left to say.

JoshWithrow
Explorer C

This isn't just for your safety, but the safety of those around you.  The staff should have definitely done better.  

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@Katexr wrote:

Before departing BNA (Nashville) the flight attendants announced that all passengers need to war a mask. I felt pretty safe flying from Nashville to Tampa, and the middle seat is always empty.

The return flight from Tampa (flight 1500- June 8 ) was a different story, no one announced that mask wearing on the plane was required and a young man (4 seats away from me) and 4 rows back from the cockpit (in clear view of SW Flight Attendants) NEVER once approached him and asked him to wear a mask.  If the staff can't do what is required to ensure passenger safety I don't feel as comfortable flying SW at these times. Come on SW - step it up!

Unfortunately, while Southwest does "require" masks be worn on board, they also do not actually enforce this rule. In addition to any passenger who is unable to wear a mask due to a disability or health issue, others who simply choose not to wear one for whatever reason are being allowed to do so. 

If you'd like to voice your concern regarding this issue to Southwest (and I suggest you do), please contact them directly -- this is primarily a customer-to-customer forum.

Katexr
Explorer C

Thank you, this was very helpful.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Katexr wrote:

Thank you, this was very helpful.

If you were the original poster you can go back and select any key posts in the thread as the solution.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

ipsedixit
Frequent Flyer C

I haven't had to wear a mask on a SWA flight since the mask "requirement" went into effect.

As others have said, there is no way for SWA to enforce their mask "requirement" -- in fact, it would arguably violate federal aviation law if they did.  

And because of that, or maybe in light of that, SWA admits that its own mask "requirement" has about as much teeth as an aardvark.   Maybe less.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

To be clear, anyone claiming they are disabled and therefore cannot wear a mask when they are not is a violation of federal law. It's also morally reprehensible. But much like preboarding, any honor-based system is prone to abuse by those who feel they simply cannot abide by the rules, and sadly there's not much Southwest can do about it.

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Reasonable accommodations. The CDC has clearly stated that masks should be worn in public. It should be within SWA's authority to state that if a person is unable to wear a mask for any reason, then it is not safe for them to fly at this time.