Southwest Airlines Community

Masks, Cleaning

MarcelM
Explorer B

I would only consider flying if:

`1.  Masks were required of EVERYONE

2.  Planes are cleaned with bleach/alcohol between every flight

3.  Social distancing is enforced.

These are all requirements at the grocery store where I live.  Why aren't these requirements on an airplane?

No wonder no one is flying!

18 REPLIES 18

Re: Masks, Cleaning

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

It's incredibly hard to maintain a safe distance or levels of cleanliness at an airport, on a plane, or during any part of traveling, so you're right, people aren't flying. Flight loads will return to normal-ish levels only when people feel it is safe not to be distancing or having to sanitize everything around them. That won't be any time soon.

--TheMiddleSeat

ipsedixit
Frequent Flyer C

You can always drive.

MarcelM
Explorer B

I do.   I drive 12 hours (non-stop) each way to care for my elderly mother one a month and will continue to do so until Southwest gets with the program.  American has.  I will look to fly American.

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2020/American-Airlines-Announces-Enhanced-Cleaning-Procedures-a...

Matt4202
Adventurer A

Our local grocery store is Target and they are not doing any of that and we're just fine. 

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

You can find out everything SW is doing here.  With that info, you can decide what is best for you and return to the skies when you feel it is right.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

@MarcelM I think you will that SW will be doing basically everything you are asking for.  More here: Southwest Promise.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

MarcelM
Explorer B

Since they are not enforcing their policy, I am not flying Southwest.

The risk is too high.

There ARE airlines that are refusing customers to board without masks. 

Southwest needs to get with the program if they want customers to board their planes.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@MarcelM wrote:

There ARE airlines that are refusing customers to board without masks. 

Really? Which ones?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

This appears to be an ever-changing situation, but it seems from this article that most other carriers are taking a harder-line with mask usage than Southwest -- at least as a requirement to board.

Airlines have instructed flight crews to not let masks lead to in-flight disruptions

In a memo sent to American Airlines pilots Monday, the day the mask policy went into effect, the carrier said enforcement of the requirement around face coverings would depend on where a customer is. At the gate, for example, travelers can be prevented from boarding if they are not wearing a mask.

United Airlines says its mandatory face-covering policy is enforced first at the gate when passengers board, then “flight attendants inform and remind customers of the policy during flight in ways that are similar to our other safety policies.

Passengers who refuse to wear a mask at the gate will be pulled aside by a customer service agent to discuss options, including moving to a new seat where they can stay a safe distance from other passengers. An airline statement said an “isolated situation where a customer may be denied boarding as a last resort” could be possible.

In a statement to The Washington Post, JetBlue said that under the new policy, its crew members will be “sensitive to all situations, using their best judgement to maintain compliance while upholding our service standards and will try to de-escalate issues onboard to the best of their ability.” The statement also noted that customers who choose not to follow the mask policy will be reviewed for future travel on the airline.