• Masks don’t work.

Look at real data not propaganda 

Re: Masks, Cleaning

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Lindamct wrote:
  • Masks don’t work.

Look at real data not propaganda 

Please share your REAL data that backs up this claim. 

--TheMiddleSeat

TimBarrios
Explorer C

Being in a high risk category, I waited many months before flying commercially. or using any form of public transportation But, since I think the world of Southwest Airlines (only), my wife and I trusted that since Southwest reduced their capacity to 67% (not occupying middle seats) and cleaning protocols that it was time to support Southwest and travel. So, last weekend we flew on a 2.5+ hour flight. The ground and flight crew announced that masks were required (except while eating and drinking).

Our experience on the flight was that the flight attendants did not enforce the mask rule. We were in the exit row with no seat in from of the window seat and a group of five young men sat in all five of the available seats in the row in front of us (with no empty seats). As soon as the flight attendants sat down for takeoff, those five passengers gradually used their masks less and less to the point of not even pretending to have them near their faces by mid-flight. And, most critically, at no point did any flight attendant during many passings question why these five passengers not wear their masks. I only give these as an example as there were several others on the flight that we could see who were also not being vigilant about mask wearing.79CFEA43-B0FD-4519-9E42-A8406244FB2B_1_201_a.jpeg

I reported this to Southwest customer relations who of course obligatorily apologized via phone and email. But ,in short, these passengers had no reason not to wear their masks (eating, drinking, conditions, etc.) yet didn't and no flight attendant felt compelled to even question them.

I post this not to complain about Southwest, or even the less competent flight attendants on our flight. I do so only to warn other higher risk passengers that it's just not as safe as it should be to travel via public transportation, even on a great airline like Southwest, at this point. We will stick to using our own transportation or just not traveling until there have been significant improvements in the efforts to not only have rules but also to enforce them.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TimBarrios wrote:

This point has been covered in other threads on the forum, but here goes anyway:

All airlines must adhere with a piece of federal legislation. That legislation allows for pre-boarders. It also allows for people not wearing masks.

If anyone claims a need to pre board, or not wear a mask, that law lets them do so.

The airline is prohibited from requiring proof of the medical condition.

The airline is prohibited, from asking about the "why" a person needs to proboard or wear a mask.

The law requires an airline is required to simply believe everyone who claims a need.

This leads to abuse, and the airline cannot do anything legally about it.

TimBarrios
Explorer C

My point exactly. Until and unless Southwest can enforce, or is at least willing to remind passengers of, the "rule", higher risk passengers should not fly via public transportation like airlines.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I disagree completely that there's nothing Southwest can do about it.

As I've said in other threads, there are many things Southwest could do with regards to stricter enforcement.

Southwest, sadly, is choosing not to. I think it's the wrong decision.

Masks, Cleaning

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Not sure why this is titled Masks, Cleaning.  I've not read anything about cleaning.  Regardless, let me say I agree with you and I was recently frustrated by the lack of people not wearing masks on the plane.  And you know what, as an A-Lister, I get on early and get a seat I want.  So when somebody asked me, (for the aisle seat) "Is this seat taken?" my reply was, "Only if you're going to keep your maks on!!!!"   Straight up I made sure I was going to adamant about the issue and maybe they move on unless they wanted a very uncomfortable flight.  I know this doesn't address seats in front, behind, or to the side of you, but it was a start for me.  I think it could be protocol, those flight attendants just every 15 minutes or so just announce, "A reminder that you should be wearing your masks unless you are eating, drinking, or have a medical issue."  It won't change everyone, but it kind of softly  shames those who don't comply.  Now with that said, I also want to put myself in their shoes, would you really want to start confrontation at 30,000 feet in the air.  If people are going to fight on a plane about somebody passing gas, or taking their smelly shoes off,  just think what this might do?  YES, is it our health, you dang right.  But I don't think in the 30 plus years of flying that I've seen but 2 flight attendants that would be able to handle an actual physical confrontation with a larger individual.  But I hear what you're saying and am waiting on the many S.W. employee's who read these posts to respond. 

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

But I hear what you're saying and am waiting on the many S.W. employee's who read these posts to respond. 

Safety is our top priority at all times, and all Passengers are required to wear a face covering (w/ some exemptions). Employees are directed on how to enforce this policy, and if Customers are not comfortable addressing their concerns with Crew Members during their flights, we encourage them to Contact Customer Relations so we can follow-up internally with the Employees. Thank you.

Nicole
Community Manager

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@NicoleAshley   I thought I could count on you!!  Thanks for your input.