Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Masks and Snacks?

graystewart66
Explorer C

What is the point of requiring customers to wear a mask at all times on the plane if they serve food and water?!?

First of all, I am a long time Southwest fan, but I was disappointed with my last experience. It is common knowledge that "masks are required at all times" while flying with SW. Last week when I flew I was shocked to see them serving snacks and water (while on a 1.2 hour flight). I saw multiple people take there masks completely off to eat and drink. I think that this is reckless in these times and it made me very uncomfortable. 

Upon my return I reached out to SW to express how uncomfortable this made me feel. I got a response within hours (a copy and pasted message) stating that they have "made many changes to our operations" due to COVID, "including temporarily discontinuing service on flights". This is not what I experienced first hand. Since this response contradicted what I saw, I sent another complaint sharing the contradicting response I got. After 5 days I have not got a response to that. So yesterday I sent another complaint, begging for a response... still have not got one. 

I am deeply disappointed to see SW ignoring me on such a important topic/concern. SW customer service has always impressed me, but this is not... If I do not get a response from them, I am saddened to say I will not use SW anymore 😞

Save your money on the snacks SW (you'll need it)... and save lives!

These are my case numbers that I have not received an answer to: 

(Case #10236642) (Case #10245601) (Case #10368810)

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Masks and Snacks?

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Hi,

Apologies for this. Since this is a peer-to-peer community, I would encourage you to try contacting the airline on social media (via DM) to discuss this further. I'm not 100% sure how the airline is offering service in-flight. The team on social media can definitely assist, or someone else here can share if they're aware of this policy.

Safe travels and stay safe!

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

jksobonya
Aviator A

I wasn't aware that food/drinks were still being served on flights, but if you eat or drink, logic implies that you need to take your mask off to consume food or drink a beverage. It's the same if you are eating at a restaurant, whether indoors or outdoors. You should take your mask off to eat or drink, and put your mask on when finished. 

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

Actually, Jessica, the only drinks served are water. I presume this insures less aisle time than serving the normal array of drinks thus subjecting FAs and passengers to less risk..

Food is a bag of mixed stuff: pretzels, crackers, etc. I haven't had a bag of pretzels since March.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Two items from Southwest's website:

https://www.southwest.com/airline-cleanliness-social-distance/

"We do acknowledge there may be times when a Customer needs to briefly remove their face covering, for instance, to eat, drink, or take medicine. However, we expect these instances to be very brief, and Customers should put their face covering back on as soon as possible."

"We are serving water and a snack mix on flights over 250 miles, when available. Straws are available on request. For all other flights, snack and beverage service is suspended until further notice to limit close interactions. (Began May 22)"

Even if Southwest stopped serving food and drinks people are still allowed to bring their own food and drinks onboard. You obviously disagree and it's good you have written to voice your objection, but hopefully the above info clarifies the current policies. 

--TheMiddleSeat

graystewart66
Explorer C

Thanks for the information. I will keep my mask on and save the snacks for after flight 😉

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I mentioned this before.  But if giving water and a snack is going to happen, then it is going to happen.  However, (and I have no idea or data to back this, just a random thought).  If as you get on the plane a passenger is able to grab pre-bagged water and snack that would be nice.  This (in my mind) would then have people intermittently have their masks off and not everyone in the section just served all exposed at the same time.  If I'm snacking and my seat partner has their mask on, less risk to them.  If they are snacking and I'm masked up, I'm a bit safer.  If we all in the immediate area are all snacking and not masked up, we might be more suspectable.  Just a random thought.  

Explorer C

It is completely irresponsible to allow people to remove their masks on a flight. The inability to social distance by 6' should be enough to require masks to remain on during the entire duration of the flight. The CDC recommends and most local ordinances mandate 6' social distancing at restaurants. There is a reason for this! Why is it appropriate to disregard this just because we are in the sky and not on the ground? The virus doesn't know the difference. It also doesn't matter that its only when eating and drinking. I've seen people slow sip their beverage for more than an hour to keep the mask off. Can Southwest explain why they are jeopardizing lives to allow someone a "sip and snack"? REALLY? I don't think anyone has died of thirst or hunger on a 3 hour Southwest flight but people do die from COVID. Get real and get responsible Southwest! 

jksobonya
Aviator A

@1019025873 wrote:

It is completely irresponsible to allow people to remove their masks on a flight. The inability to social distance by 6' should be enough to require masks to remain on during the entire duration of the flight. The CDC recommends and most local ordinances mandate 6' social distancing at restaurants. There is a reason for this! Why is it appropriate to disregard this just because we are in the sky and not on the ground? The virus doesn't know the difference. It also doesn't matter that its only when eating and drinking. I've seen people slow sip their beverage for more than an hour to keep the mask off. Can Southwest explain why they are jeopardizing lives to allow someone a "sip and snack"? REALLY? I don't think anyone has died of thirst or hunger on a 3 hour Southwest flight but people do die from COVID. Get real and get responsible Southwest! 

I have flown three times during the pandemic (August, October, December - less than 4 weeks ago) and I have enjoyed my water and my little snack mix. Eating on a plane isn't going to kill you. It's incredible that we are now at a place where people are afraid to not only fly but eat a simple snack or drink a beverage on a plane. We really need to get over this irrational fear. The simple truth is that COVID (or any virus, really) does not spread on airplanes, there is plenty of data to back this up, and in any case, in all my years of flying I have never once gotten sick from any airplane trip I have ever taken. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones? 

Besides all of that, planes are not full right now; in my travels this year I have had an entire row to myself more than once. The middle seat has been empty too (even after Southwest stopped blocking middle seats). One of the reasons I travelled this year was to not only prove that travel can be done, but that it can be done safely, and I wanted to have actual real experiences instead of just guessing what airplane travel is like. I am living proof that traveling can be done, it is safe, and you will not get sick by being on an airplane for a few hours at a time - and eating and drinking is fine. 

--Jessica

Easepod
Explorer C

I was shocked to see water and snacks served on a recent MDW/BOS flight. Nearly everyone removed their masks and took their own sweet time putting them back on. It is a mystery to me why Southwest brass continue to think they can attract loyal customers back onto the airline with this irresponsible policy in affect. Stop water and snack service during the pandemic!