Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Nervous First Timer

Jhocasta
Explorer C

I am flying for the very first time in October from Nashville to Boston's Logan airport. I am traveling with a couple of friends one of whom has also never flown. 

Does anyone have any tips for a first time very nervous flyer for  things that might help ease my nerves so I don't have so much anxiety through the flight? 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Nervous First Timer

Passenger1C
Aviator C

@Jhocasta you are already off to a good start since you are traveling with friends. Surrounding yourself with people you know is a great distraction for all.  My advice is to keep busy during the flight. Either read a book, grab your laptop and work on a project, stream movies, or engage in conversation. If you start to feel more comfortable during flight, try to take a nap. That makes time go by very quickly. Just remember to remain calm and think about how you are safer in a plane than you are in a car. The flight crew are highly trained experts who know how to keep you safe. 

It also doesn’t hurt to let the crew know once you board the plane about your first flight. That way the crew can check in on you throughout the flight and make sure you are doing okay. 

You got this!  Good luck. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

basslaw2010
Frequent Flyer B

I'm not sure if they still do it, but Southwest used to provide a free copy of a book (can't remember the title) written to ease the nerves of people that are scared to fly or have never flown before. You should reach out to Customer Relations and ask if they still provide it.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Jhocasta wrote:

I am flying for the very first time in October from Nashville to Boston's Logan airport. I am traveling with a couple of friends one of whom has also never flown. 

Does anyone have any tips for a first time very nervous flyer for  things that might help ease my nerves so I don't have so much anxiety through the flight? 

Just to double check - the anxiety is what you are worked about, and not the actual logistics (bag check, arrive early, security etc. - plenty of resources out there to help you prepare as a first time flyer in that regard so that you don't ahve to worry about the actions of travel themselves - allow some extra time and you can handle the logisitcs, no problem. 2.5 millions of people do it every day.

So regarding anxiety, here was an article that came up while I was searching to see if I could find @basslaw2010's book:

https://adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/specific-phobias/treatment/8-Steps-to-Overcoming-Your-Fear-of...

Check at the airport too if you have time, they may have an information desk with a similar pamphlet. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@Jhocasta,

So glad you came by the Community. I think you'll find folks here are very understanding and more than willing to offer up some great advice. Best wishes for a nice, easy flight and airport experience. 

Jhocasta
Explorer C

Thanks everyone!! Everyone had been so kind and welcoming! ❤