Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

New Blue seats

BlakeV1701
Explorer C

I love SW and fly almost every week. But, I hate the new skinny blue seats. 
the old brown seats are still the best. The older blue seats are also pretty great.

the new blue seats have got to go away. Old seats I can last 4 hours before my tail bone starts to hurt . New blue seats, 2 hours in and I wish I had a Tylenol. I have now had to buy a butt pad to fly. I only need it for the evil blue seats.

6ft,  207 pounds so kind of normal and no other plane seat hurts my butt like new blue.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: New Blue seats

chgoflyer
Aviator A

You're not the only one.

I appreciate the slight extra legroom, but the seat comfort completely negates that advantage for me. As you note, for anything longer than an hour or so it's very uncomfortable.

For those of us old enough to remember what it was like a couple of interior revisions ago (pre "Evolve," when an extra row was crammed into each plane), those days seem like a hazy, roomy, comfortable dream. 

Unfortunately, slimline seats are the way of the future, so the blue "Heart" interior is here to stay. FYI, the 800s (and the MAX once they return) are slightly better than the 700s that have received the makeover. 

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Pros and cons.  Def miss the new padding, but MAN I love the adjustable headrests.

But I would prefer the older seats... 😂

-A List, Companion Pass holder

bec102896
Aviator A

As a tall person I enjoy the adjustable headrests as well with the new seats. 

On another note I did fly Frontier recently and the seat backs were the worst I have encountered in the last 7 years or so on a plane. I'll take the newer SW seats over Frontiers any day although I do like the old seats better for back comfort. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Agreed. Frontier's regular coach seats --combined with their crazy-tight seat pitch and joke of a tray-table -- make for an awful experience for any flight over an hour. When I fly Frontier (often now, due to Southwest abandoning almost all non-stops CLE-LAS) I choose the Stretch seats, which are actually quite comfortable and have great legroom. And even with bag fees and full refundability (I choose the "Works" package) the total fare is usually less than a connecting flight on Southwest. I personally would never choose a "regular" Frontier seat, but there are definitely certain passengers for whom the price point is convincing and/or the only option. Carriers like Frontier and Spirit have taken over that section of the market, once dominated by Southwest, as Southwest moves away from low cost and more into becoming a legacy carrier.