Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

New seats vs old seats larger but more uncomfortable

Noget
Explorer C

Long time business flyer, second time on newer 737 seats. I really did not think it was possible to make a more uncomfortable airline seat. The NEW seat pad may as well be a steal plate, I have had better pads on the oldest seats. OK, sure the seats are wider at the bottom with the narrower arm rests, but it doesent appear that the row is any wider at sholder height. The window seats leave you leaning into the center seat with your arm pressed agenst the window or wall. unconfrontable at best, unbearable on long flights. I am 6'6" tall and 260lbs, the new "head rest" is more like a lumbar pad. Sure, I can raise it to get it above my sholders, but am told that it must be down for take off and landing. The new seats are really no wider in the shoulder area and still force me to have to lean forward to clear the middle seat. Leaning foreward used to be OK, but the new seats have hard plastic backs, and deflect with very little pressure.So leaning forward is pushing forward on the next seething up. Besides leaving a nice mark on my arm, or for hear, you can guarantee a complaint from the passenger in front because you are pushing on his seat.

In general, your orignal 'narrower'  seats were more accommodating. Save your money..

Signed - even more uncomfortable..

5 REPLIES 5

Re: New seats vs old seats larger but more uncomfortable

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I agree. The new slimline seats appear to add more legroom but I find the cushioning on the seat bottom especially to be horrible for anything other than short flights. I honestly didn't think it would be possible to make a seat worse tham the previous "Evolve" retrofitted ones, but they've done it.

yyy
Explorer C

Flying on the first one with new seats I found them to be like a bath tub, they do not breath and the plane was hot, and pants were actually sweaty from a 2 hour night flight. Crazy progress.

NimbusHex
Explorer C

Personally I thought the Evolve seats were fine, but I'm a guy of average height and weight.  The new seats are absolutely unbearable.  My lower back was in so much pain after a 5 hour flight from Atlanta to Los Angeles.

Smooth718456
Explorer C

As the 800 and Max seats age they are getting more comfortable. No easy fix but it's like sitting on a board for 3 hours.  I'm so happy to see a 700 on my route.   Everything else is great

floridaguy
Aviator C

I would prefer to have horizontal bedding where you lay down, sort of like bunk beds.