Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

No Beverage Service on Short Flights

gmccutchan
Explorer C

I am disappointed that the crew onboard a few recent short flights has blamed potential turbulence for not providing beverage service.  Just let your customers know that on flights less than an hour (or 50 minutes), you don’t plan to provide a service.  That may reduce the number of your Business Select fares, but at least you are being real. My last short flight was completely smooth, not a cloud in the sky, but no service due to the specter of turbulence.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: No Beverage Service on Short Flights

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

While there may occasionally be a bad apple of crew that doesn't want to provide service and uses this convienent excuse, this direction typically comes from the captain who gets information from air traffic control based on weather reports or reports of turbulence from other flights that were in the area. Yes, weather and other factors change which would explain hearing about turbulence then having a smooth flight, but it's much better to be cautious and error on the safe side than have problems. Additionally, clear skies don't indicate anything regarding turbulence. Flight crews' number one priority is safety, not drink service.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

"Additionally, clear skies don't indicate anything regarding turbulence. Flight crews' number one priority is safety, not drink service."

I'll second that. I'm also a private pilot and he worst turbulence I ever encountered was blue sky, clear air turbulence. It was a small plane and my head kept whacking the ceiling of the plane.

Also, airlines don't want to injure their FA's. One time on Continental they didn't ask fA's to sit until it was too late. They were in the middle of beverage service. The FA's sat in the aisle and asked passengers around them to hold on to them so they would not fly up and hit the ceiling. I grabbed the belt of the FA sitting in the aisle next to me.

Being cautious  is really they way to go. You can have your soda or you might have an injured FA. 

It's real easy to figure out which one you really don't want to have.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I had an early morning from CLT this week, and we hit some of that clear sky turbulence - it was interesting as the pilot came on and filled us in that since there weren't too many flights out there earlier than ours, there wasn't a lot of feedback from other pilots about where the good air was.

It turns out he found it a little lower altitude almost right away, but didn't know ahead of time what would work.

I could see the converse as well - flights all day may have been getting bumped around and the pilot didn't expect to be clear but it turns out they were able to find smooth air after all.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Mr52663
Explorer C

Communication goes a long way and is greatly appreciated . For those that fly and can be caught on multiple flights per day , being a diabetic , it’s difficult for me to skip meals so occasionally I’ll bring food aboard. Knowing ahead of time , if beverage service will not be offered , I’d would make the decision to purchase a drink before boarding. I fly business select and appreciate  the beverage service ( even though I don’t use my drink voucher ) . 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Agreed that if you medically would need access to a beverage or pretzels, you should buy some in the airport and bring it onboard. Even for longer flights if there is turbulence there is a chance service could be suspended and the only sure thing is to have something on you in reserve.

Pretzels you could probably ask for when boarding, but the FA won't want to have beverage service items loose in the cabin if they can help it during take-off.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

I always bring a water on board just in case I get choked up.  I figure the person next to me won’t want me hacking and coughing (because I would not want that).  Many airports now have water bottle filling stations so if you have a connection and need to refill, you can and it is cheaper too.  Some people bring empty water bottles through TSA and fill them, so it is more environmentally friendly too.

I like to find the room temperature water to purchase for the first flight though so it doesn’t condensate in my bag or on my leg.  It sometimes confuses the store clerk when I ask if they have any water that is not refrigerated but I must not be alone because it seems easier to find these days.

sueadtjax
Explorer C

This is a frequent issue on the ATLANTA TO JACKSONVILLE run. My suggestion would be to take the beverage order before take off  as you customarily are sitting  on a non-active tarp waitinf to get onto a runway in Atlanta or just offer small bottled water.  IT'S NOT THAT HARD SOUTHWEST.  Don't need snotty remarks by flight attendants about how short the flight is!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

@sueadtjax wrote:

This is a frequent issue on the ATLANTA TO JACKSONVILLE run. My suggestion would be to take the beverage order before take off  as you customarily are sitting  on a non-active tarp waitinf to get onto a runway in Atlanta or just offer small bottled water.  

I'm pretty sure flight attendants are directed to sit down and buckle up as soon as possible after push back. I don't think providing drink service is considered vital enough to outweigh the safety risk. Bringing your own beverage on board is a great alternative. 

--TheMiddleSeat

gsking
Aviator C

Hmmm, I doubt many people are buying that BS fare just for the free drink. 

While I too have had drinks skipped on a recent flight due to unrealized turbulence, I agree more that safety and organization is more important.  As much as I enjoy a free Coke Zero, it's only satisfying if it makes it into my stomach and doesn't end up on my jeans.