Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: No Internet Connection Wi-Fi

jksobonya
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

I have been running an extra long ethernet cable between my device and the ground during flight.

I found an extra long ethernet cable on Amazon.  Seems to work well.

😂🤣😂🤣 LOL an ethernet cable 🤣 I get your sense of humor, that’s funny!!! 

But all joking aside 😄, internet is spotty as per my usual experience. On this flight, I had internet at takeoff, “no internet connection” for awhile, but then internet was fine again. I should note, this is just connecting to the SWA WiFi and using the free portal - not paid internet. 

— Jessica

nick_asian
Explorer C

@jksobonya wrote:

@floridaguy wrote:

I have been running an extra long ethernet cable between my device and the ground during flight.

I found an extra long ethernet cable on Amazon.  Seems to work well.

😂🤣😂🤣 LOL an ethernet cable 🤣 I get your sense of humor, that’s funny!!! 

But all joking aside 😄, internet is spotty as per my usual experience. On this flight, I had internet at takeoff, “no internet connection” for awhile, but then internet was fine again. I should note, this is just connecting to the SWA WiFi and using the free portal - not paid internet. 

— Jessica

I’ve only been using the free portal as well. I’m not willing to risk wasting $8 for the issue to happen still and take ages to get a refund

nick_asian
Explorer C

Just a bump to say my issue still isn’t resolved after three more flights after. It’s not been a good time.

floridaguy
Aviator C

If I have an unfavorable experience with the Wifi, I email Southwest and the $8 charge is credited to my card.

If it doesn't work as described, get a credit.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy clearly the OP never paid for service if they were never able to connect to the network. If you don't understand the situation don't bother replying.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@nick_asian wrote:

Just a bump to say my issue still isn’t resolved after three more flights after. It’s not been a good time.

If the device appears to be connected to the network but won't bring up the splash screen and you can't get "getconnected.southwestwifi.com" to launch it, try:

• URL 1.1.1.1 - this often works in cases where the splash screen didn't come up yet and you are connected but not yet authorized. It will trigger the splash screen. This works on other providers as well, not just Southwest.
  • If you type that in and go to an actual internet services website, then you do have connectivity, something else is wrong.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

nick_asian
Explorer C

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@nick_asian wrote:

If the device appears to be connected to the network but won't bring up the splash screen and you can't get "getconnected.southwestwifi.com" to launch it, try:

• URL 1.1.1.1 - this often works in cases where the splash screen didn't come up yet and you are connected but not yet authorized. It will trigger the splash screen. This works on other providers as well, not just Southwest.
  • If you type that in and go to an actual internet services website, then you do have connectivity, something else is wrong.

That is something I haven’t tried yet and will give it a shot on my next flight. Thanks for the suggestion!

nick_asian
Explorer C

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@nick_asian wrote:

So I've tried this method out on a recent flight and no dice. Looks like my device is cursed from their wifi now lol

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@nick_asian wrote:

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@nick_asian wrote:

So I've tried this method out on a recent flight and no dice. Looks like my device is cursed from their wifi now lol

Oh no, was hoping it would work for you. What came up instead?

I'd be leaning towards some device setting then but I'm not sure what to suggest.

Without reading all of the prior suggestions - alternate browsers, forget the network and restart, etc.

You might need to capture a screenshot of your adapter settings next time and see what's in there if we can ping the right person from Southwest to check in.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Brian_deen
Explorer C

I recently traveled with Southwest Airlines and encountered a frustrating issue with the in-flight Wi-Fi service. Throughout the duration of my flight, I experienced a consistent lack of internet connectivity, which severely impacted my ability to stay connected and be productive during the journey.

The absence of a reliable internet connection was particularly disappointing, considering that Southwest Airlines promotes its in-flight Wi-Fi as a convenient feature for passengers. However, the reality fell short of expectations, as I was unable to access the internet to browse websites, respond to important emails, or even enjoy entertainment options available through online streaming services.

I attempted troubleshooting steps by restarting my device, but the problem persisted. Furthermore, I observed that fellow passengers around me were also facing similar difficulties with the Wi-Fi connectivity. It was evident that the issue was not isolated to just one individual but rather a broader problem affecting multiple passengers on the flight.

The lack of internet connectivity not only inconvenienced me but also hindered my ability to stay connected with work responsibilities and personal matters. As a frequent traveler, I rely on in-flight Wi-Fi to maximize my productivity and make the most of my travel time. Unfortunately, the Wi-Fi service provided by Southwest Airlines fell short in this regard.

I understand that technical difficulties can arise, and Wi-Fi connectivity issues may occur occasionally. However, it is essential for an airline like Southwest Airlines to ensure that their in-flight Wi-Fi service is reliable and consistently functional. Passengers should be able to rely on a stable internet connection to meet their connectivity needs during their journey.

I hope that Southwest Airlines takes note of these issues and addresses them promptly. It would be beneficial for them to invest in improving the reliability and performance of their in-flight Wi-Fi service to provide a more seamless experience for passengers who rely on internet connectivity during their flights.

Overall, while I appreciate the other aspects of my travel experience with Southwest Airlines, the lack of internet connection and the Wi-Fi issues I encountered were a significant drawback. I hope that steps are taken to rectify this issue, ensuring that passengers can enjoy a reliable and consistent Wi-Fi service on future flights.

Note: This review is based on a personal experience and may not represent the overall performance of Southwest Airlines' in-flight Wi-Fi service, as individual experiences may vary.

Brian Deen