Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Onboard USB charger

DesertFenix
Explorer C

My sister recently flew another airline, she told me that unlike Southwest,  they had an onboard charging station with a USB port for each passenger, and more foot room available. FYI, this was in coach class. I have been a long time customer of Southwest, and I'm eager to know when  Southwest Airlines plans on implementing similar amenities for your passengers. Also, bottled water holder would be awesome. I had a terrible muscle spasm in my seat, and dropped my large cup under my seat, it rolled into the passengers bag behind me. Luckily it didn't spill.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Onboard USB charger

dfwskier
Aviator A

Good morning.

You may not be aware that this is a customer to customer forum, so you are not making your suggestions to the airline here. Here's how you can do so:

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-p/8724...

Good suggestion about on board power options.

United Economy Plus seats  might have more leg room than Southwest seats, but not the regular economy seats. Southwest's seat pitch (measure of legroom) is 31 inches for it's 737-700 planes and 32 -33 inches for it's 737-800 planes. United's  is 30-31 inches

except for economy plus which is more. In the linked article layout 2 is economy plus and layout 1 is regular economy.

https://www.seatguru.com/charts/shorthaul_economy.php 

As far as cup holders go, plane seats are already pretty narrow, and the addition of cup holders would probably make them even narrower. I'm not sure that would be popular with many passengers. I use either the tray table or the seat back pocket in front of me for my drinks.

jksobonya
Aviator A

I love the idea of having a USB port / charging station at every seat! I hope Southwest implements something like that in the future.

--Jessica

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Unfortunately, Southwest has said repeatedly that they do not plan on adding at-seat USB ports. Their stated reason is that the additional weight that would be added to the plane would increase fuel costs.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Southwest has the most legroom (pitch) of any domestic airline in a non-upgraded, economy class seat?  United, Delta, and Frontier all have upgrade options, but their standard seat is a smaller pitch.  Maybe JetBlue's standard seat is slightly better than Southwest?  I'll trade free legroom over charging any day and appreciate the low cost.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Southwest has the most legroom (pitch) of any domestic airline in a non-upgraded, economy class seat?  United, Delta, and Frontier all have upgrade options, but their standard seat is a smaller pitch.  Maybe JetBlue's standard seat is slightly better than Southwest?  I'll trade free legroom over charging any day and appreciate the low cost.

--TheMiddleSeat

See the second post in the thread to answer your question. The link provides leg/seat room stats for about every airline in the world.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@jksobonya  I agree with you, and the key thought is, "in the future."  I don't think with losing at least a billion dollars or more SWA or any airlines is contemplating physical changes that are going to cost them millions to implement.  Also, the idea of SWA, peanut flights, was created that the consumer knows it's giving up some luxury items for (debatable) lower prices.  

gsking
Aviator C

Logically,  short SW flights shouldn't need chargers.   Batteries provide that function. 

Of course, some flights are longer.   And laptops don't always last that long.   And carrying backup laptop batteries isn't common.   

But for a phone?   Come on.... everyone has a portable charger.   Don't force them to raise my ticket prices because you can't be bothered to carry one. 

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@gsking My only rebuttal to that is, My home airport is Albuquerque, NM.  There is not any chair seating with a USB plug-in like I see in so many other airports.  What we have is a couple of charging areas that are not obsolete as far as being able to keep social distancing.  So even when I do take a charger, I'm better off biting the bullet than get near one of those stations where way too many people take advantage of placing a drink or snack so they can sit there with their mask off as well.    But I get your point. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

A power bank would be another option.