Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Passenger removal

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

Thank you for reaching out so we can share our statement:

Our reports indicate that this Customer was asked repeatedly by more than one Employee at different times to wear a face mask. The Customer did not comply with our Crew’s multiple verbal requests—including while boarding the flight before seated. Therefore, the decision was made to return to the gate and re-accommodate him on a later flight to his final destination after receiving assurances he would comply with our face covering policy. We regret the inconvenience the situation created for all involved, but our Crew must support the well-being and comfort of all Passengers.

Our policy clearly states that we require all Customers over the age of two to wear a face covering or face mask while traveling to help prevent the transmission of COVID-19. We communicate this policy to all Customers at multiple touchpoints throughout the travel journey including during booking, in a pre-trip email sent prior to departure, and during a required acknowledgement that’s part of the Customer Health Declaration Form which appears during the check-in process on the Southwest app, Southwest.com, Southwest’s mobile website, and airport kiosks. We do acknowledge there may be times when a Customer needs to briefly remove their face covering, for instance, to eat, drink, or take medicine. However, we expect these instances to be very brief, and Customers should put their face covering back on as soon as possible.

Southwest Airlines Employees welcome onboard millions of Customers every year, with a goal of treating each one with respect, kindness, and fairness—delivering our world-class warmth and Hospitality. And, we do not tolerate discrimination of any kind.

Nicole
Community Manager

Topper
Explorer C

I read your comment. Not good enough. It's obvious from the video he was kicked off because he was a Black Man supporting Trump. Even the passengers sided with him.

redwa
Explorer B

Agreed your reply was a PC based lib reply.  Your airline started in Texas not California.  Remember your roots.  Herb is probably rolling over in his grave at this!!!

J_Northwest
Explorer C

The video is very clearly showing that the gentleman was removed due to his support of POTUS. .  Would this have happen if he was wearing a BLM mask?   I'll take my business to airlines that doesn't have to show their hatred and intolerance to other peoples opinions by kicking them off flights.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@J_Northwest wrote:

The video is very clearly showing that the gentleman was removed due to his support of POTUS. .  Would this have happen if he was wearing a BLM mask?  

Yes it would. Don't wear masks and ignore crew orders, and you get kicked off the plane.

I'll take my business to airlines that doesn't have to show their hatred and intolerance to other peoples opinions by kicking them off flights.

You'll be doing a lot of driving then as just about every airline is booting passengers that don;t wear masks. A few weeks ago Delta bragged that it had booted 140.

Ecrawley1
Explorer C

Can you please demonstrate to us how YOU eat with your mask on? My husband flys southwest frequently....we’ll be flying Delta from now on.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Ecrawley1 wrote:

Can you please demonstrate to us how YOU eat with your mask on? My husband flys southwest frequently....we’ll be flying Delta from now on.

The flight had not yet left the ground.

No food and water had been served.

Oh, be careful with Delta. If you ignore the mask order, you'll not only be booted off the plane but you'll be put on Delta's no fly list and NEVER be allowed to fly it again.

It's happened 250 times so far. As near as I can tell, Delta has been the airline that is most aggressive at enforcing it's mask policy

Aerogirl_7
Explorer C

OBVIOUSLY, you are biased...even against video EVIDENCE. Or, you foolishly commented before watching the entire video or YOU would have seen the various passengers giving WITNESS TESTIMONY that the man HAD been wearing a mask...and only lowered it to eat. Southwest personal ALSO refused to STAND BY THEIR OWN policy, when questioned about it.

Ecrawley1
Explorer C

Sounds to me like the crew needed to make up something real quick because they were facing backlash. Weird how the random lady sitting behind the woman shooting the  video CONFIRMED that he just pulled his mask down to eat. My husband and I will no longer be flying Southwest. Y’all need to apologize FLAT OUT. ALL Black Lives Matter and so do their OPINIONS.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

All lives matter, not just any one race.  We will miss you.  Enjoy driving or paying those high baggage fees.