Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

People of Size vs. people of ??

tfranco222
Explorer C

I just got off another flight where the arm rest boundaries were not only violated but so was my neck side and chest space.   The person next to me was of such size that they literally pushed me into the next seat so I was encroaching on the person next to me.   There body was clearly over the armrest by several inches. This is not the first time this has happened on a flight. I don't see how a voluntary policy works for people like me that are mostly effected by this behavior of buying one seat when a person clearly doesn't fit in one seat.  I will never fly for pleasure again. I have to fly for my job and it is a severe physical and emotional discomfort to be put in these situations.    I'm happy that Southwest finds that filling seats not matter how cramped, fufills their greedy bottom line.  I hope you and the executives can sleep at night knowing that for people of not size, we have to bear the burden of people of size, not Southwest.   Convenient for SW!!!

8 REPLIES 8

Re: People of Size vs. people of ??

bec102896
Aviator A

@tfranco222

Sorry your flight was uncomfortable because of a passenger of size. I'm sure It's just as uncomfortable for that passenger as it is for you. It's also important to know ALL airlines will have passengers of size and on the other airlines you won't know until you board that your next to a passenger of size and there may not be any other choice at least with Southwest you can choose where you sit unless your in the C group then you may be stuck in the middle next to a passenger of size so be sure to check in on time to help prevent you being stuck in that uncomfortable position. 

if you would like to discuss your experience with Southwest directly you can reach out to customer relations by calling 855-234-4654 or you can send an email from the Southwest website. 

Hope your next flight is more comfortable

Blake  

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

Been there, and it is indeed uncomfortable — for all parties involved. 

To be fair, SW has one of the more generous policies for passengers of size. These passengers have the option of purchasing multiple seats and then getting a refund of the extra after flight, or they can discuss options with the gate agent. 

You can read the policy here: “Customers who encroach upon any part of the neighboring seat(s) may proactively purchase the needed number of seats prior to travel in order to ensure the additional seat(s) is available. The armrest is considered to be the definitive boundary between seats; the width of the narrowest and widest passenger seats (in inches) is available on our Flying Southwest page. The purchase of additional seats serves as a notification to Southwest of a special seating need, and allows us to adequately plan for the number of seats that will be occupied on the aircraft.  In turn, this helps to ensure we can accommodate all Customers on the flight/aircraft for which they purchased a ticket and avoid asking Customers to relinquish their seats for an unplanned accommodation. Most importantly, it ensures that all Customers onboard have access to safe and comfortable seating. You may contact us for a refund of the cost of additional seating after travel.  Customers of size who prefer not to purchase an additional seat in advance have the option of purchasing just one seat and then discussing their seating needs with the Customer Service Agent at their departure gate. If it is determined that a second (or third) seat is needed, they will be accommodated with a complimentary additional seat.”

-A List, Companion Pass holder

prariehome
Explorer C

What about for the person who sits by a person of size.?  Do I get a refund for sitting in a seat that is compromised by a big person?  Spent a miserable flight next to a man who would not let me have more than three fourths of my seat.  The flight was full and his response was that I chose to sit there.  Didn’t complain to the stewardess but they also could see what was going on.  

prariehome
Explorer C

What about for the person who sits by a person of size?  Do I get a refund for sitting in a seat that is compromised by a big person?  Spent a miserable flight next to a man who would not let me have more than three fourths of my seat.  The flight was full and his response was that I chose to sit there.  Didn’t complain to the stewardess but they also could see what was going on.  

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

We're sorry to hear of any discomfort, and we know we can offer a better travel experience in the future. As we are a peer to peer support forum, we are not equipped to address your concerns here, but we encourage you to reach out to us via the options in the link below. Thank you!

Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint

Nicole
Community Manager

Jwalsh3rd
Adventurer A

Good to know, but this does not address the regular sized passenger that is in the squeeze.  On a Houston to Dallas flight I had an aisle seat (A1 boarding pass) on a full flight.  I had a not so gentlemen sit next to me and the width of his well-exercised shoulders, hips, legs and arms were such that I was unable to keep my aisle side shoulder inside the armrest, so I was bumped a number of times.  I asked if he could uncross his arms and put his legs closer together.  I was threatened that if I did not shut up I would be sitting in the aisle.  Knowing myself and the likelihood that confrontation would only end badly for me, I left the plane and caught the next Houston flight.  I did ask the operations agent at the gate to address this incident with the fellow. I am confident that this guy will be a two seat required passenger for life.  The next flight was much calmer.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Jwalsh3rd wrote:

On a Houston to Dallas flight I had an aisle seat (A1 boarding pass) on a full flight.  I had a not so gentlemen sit next to me and the width of his well-exercised shoulders, hips, legs and arms were such that I was unable to keep my aisle side shoulder inside the armrest, so I was bumped a number of times.  I asked if he could uncross his arms and put his legs closer together.  I was threatened that if I did not shut up I would be sitting in the aisle.   

Are you saying the middle seat passenger threatened you? That is not acceptable to the airline or the FAA.

If it had been me, I would have left my seat to have a private conversation with the FA at the front of the plane. In all likelihood, the middel seat passenger would have, at the very least, been chastised by the FA, or at the very most, been removed from the plane.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@tfranco222 wrote:

I'm happy that Southwest finds that filling seats not matter how cramped, fufills their greedy bottom line.  I hope you and the executives can sleep at night knowing that for people of not size, we have to bear the burden of people of size, not Southwest.   Convenient for SW!!!

This is actually not true, Southwest offers a second seat to customers of size for free, however they have to ask for it. 

If it is asked for on the date of flight and the flight is already sold out, then it may not be possible.

You should also ask the flight attendant if it is possible to relocate when you realize that the flight would be uncomfortable, that's also up to you to ask.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.