Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Personal item/Carry on question

TheJules2019
Explorer C
I was wondering something, if I’m lucky to snag one of the coveted bulkhead seats on my outbound flight which originates in dtw (so no passengers already aboard), would the flight crew make me remove my mini backpack (if i’m wearing it on my back) and put it in overhead, or can i get away with wearing it (it will have my iPad and stuff to keep me occupied on the flight)

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Personal item/Carry on question

Passenger1C
Aviator C
Solution

@TheJules2019  for your safety and those around you, when seated at a bulkhead all carryons must be stored in a overhead bin during take offs and landings. However, during the flight, you can grab your bag from the overhead, and leave at your feet, etc. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

dfwskier
Aviator A

Remove your backpack?

I'm not sure of the answer to the question, but if the answer is "no," I would encourage you to consider the discomfort you might be in with the bacpack pushing your upper body forward for the duration of the flight.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@Passenger1C wrote:

@TheJules2019  for your safety and those around you, when seated at a bulkhead all carryons must be stored in a overhead bin during take offs and landings. However, during the flight, you can grab your bag from the overhead, and leave at your feet, etc. 

You are allowed to have a tablet in your hands during takeoff, but not a full laptop. But as @Passenger1C said all bags would be stowed in the overhead. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.