Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pets on Board - Allergies

Infreq_Flyer
Explorer C

So what is a traveler to do when there is a pet onboard a flight that he/she may be allergic?  Not like I could change flights.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Pets on Board - Allergies

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Unfortunately, there's not much anyone can do in that situation. I would operate under the assumption that a pet will be on every flight so if that means medication or just not flying then that's what it is. 

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

I think every major airline allows pets on board. If you are on Southwest, you could ask the flight attendant's help in finding a seat as far from pets as possible. If you are on an airline with assigned seats the best you can do is trade seats with another passenger.

As said above, take your meds with you, or if your problem is severe, don't fly.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Not sure why your talk in a question?  he/she "may" be allergic.  If it's a "may," then it isn't an issue, the animal "may" not make you allergic.  If it's, "he/she "is" allergic, then yes, that's a concern.  You have good answers on here about movement, SWA attendants will do all they can to make you comfortable as possible, with your MEDs.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

Not sure why your talk in a question?  he/she "may" be allergic.  If it's a "may," then it isn't an issue, the animal "may" not make you allergic.  If it's, "he/she "is" allergic, then yes, that's a concern.  You have good answers on here about movement, SWA attendants will do all they can to make you comfortable as possible, with your MEDs.

Southwest has to be one of the best options in regard to moving your seat if someone does sit by you, or even if you are seated first and someone comes next to you there's a chance to say "do you mind moving back?

Not sure about the statistics or demographics of people who do fly with pets, do they fly Southwest. I don't know if it is more or less likely to have a pet onboard a Southwest flight. I don't see it very often, but once in a while.  

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.