Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Power on flights to Hawaii

N_P
Explorer C

My wife and I LOVE flying Southwest! The flexibility, great prices, luggage policies, employees, expanding routes, and the list goes on. We were beyond excited to hear the news of SWA going to Hawaii! My wife is from there and we go back at least once a year to visit family.

As much as we love going to Hawaii, I cannot sleep on planes so I have to work away on my computer during the long—sometimes overnight—flights to keep from being miserable. Is there any way these planes will have power outlets at the seats? After making the mistake of flying on a plane without power once, that has since been part of the criteria when purchasing tickets to Hawaii. I know Southwest keeps things simple and straight-forward, which is part of what makes y’all great, but PLEASE consider it! As much as I love Southwest, I’m not so sure I can handle the trip without power.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Power on flights to Hawaii

chgoflyer
Aviator A

None of Southwest's planes have power outlets, and they have no plans to add it. (They recently retrofitted the fleet with new seats and didn't add power then, which would have been the perfect time to do so.) The official reason is that it would add weight to the plane, which would increase fuel costs and decrease profits.

If you do consider flying Southwest to Hawaii (sometime in 2019 is likely the earliest), be aware that they have also stated they have no desire to fly red-eyes or overnight flights.

For long flights, you might want to consider a portable travel battery pack.