Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Protecting Passengers From COVID-19

DavidMD
Explorer C

The CDC now recommends that ALL people wear masks or face covers when going to public places. Many cities, states and counties now REQUIRE masks or face covers when going to the grocery store or riding on public transportation.

Southwest should require ALL passengers to wear face covers or masks. Anyone can make a mask with a t-shirt and scissors. Or Southwest could buy fabric masks and sell them at a nominal charge at the gate for passengers who don't have one or forgot it.

This would make all of us safer, and make your employees safer too. 

I encourage Southwest to read this excellent article by one of the top data scientists in the USA

And watch this 7-minute video by a PhD in pathology as to why wearing a mask is so important.

I would feel a lot better about getting on a flight if Southwest did this.

Southwest is a leader in safety, it's time to lead on this. Other airlines will follow.

There is a lot of great info on masks here at Masks4All.co.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Protecting Passengers From COVID-19

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Many teams at SWA are actively monitoring this situation and working to improve and moderate the inflight experience. There might be a change soon, so keep an eye on the airline's official channels. Be sure to share this feedback by calling or DMing on social media.

Stay safe!

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

While wearing a mask may be best practice it is unlikely Southwest or any other airline would mandate passengers wear masks without some direction from the FAA.

--TheMiddleSeat

DavidMD
Explorer C

Despite being next to China, Taiwan is not having trouble with COVID-19. Taiwan Airlines refuse passengers who don't wear masks and have been doing this for weeks. 

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3901699

"China Airlines (CAL) and EVA Air will turn away passengers with a fever and require others to wear a mask during flights, except for meal times, to prevent the Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19), reports said Saturday (March 21).

"Before boarding their flight, passengers will have their temperatures taken and anyone with a minimum fever of 37.5 degrees Celsius will be turned away, the Taiwan airlines announced on their websites Saturday. Travelers who refuse to undergo temperature screening will not be allowed on board."

Years ago, I wrote Herb Kelleher on a safety issue regarding child car seats on the 737. Within days, they were on it and changed their policy. 

Southwest didn't need FAA to tell them to do the right thing then. 

Waiting for the FAA puts us passengers at risk and flight attendants at risk.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

We shall see.  As you know the social and political environment here is much different than in Asian countries. And I'm sure your one letter was the sole reason Southwest changed their car seat policy.

--TheMiddleSeat

MJ3
Explorer C

I wholeheartedly agree! PLEASE adopt a no mask no fly policy. We need to take all precautions to keep ourselves safe! So many people cough and sneeze on planes, it only makes sense.

funwhite
Explorer B

I am totally opposed to mandatory face masks.  It should be voluntary.  Medical grade masks are not available to the public, so effectively wrapping a rag around your face does nothing to protect you.  Almost all CV cases are in nursing homes with people that have serious pre existing conditions.  The average age is  80.  None of this fits the typical southwest passenger.  People will refuse to fly if masks are mandatory because it creates the impression that there is danger in the air or why do I have to wear a mask.  I would like to see any scientific proof that consumer or worse hand made masks do any good.     I would hope SW would not go along with this herd mentality, they will be rewarded with a faster recovery than the mask airlines.  I have a trip scheduled for May.  That will be my last flight until the mask requirement is lifted.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
 wrote:

I would like to see any scientific proof that consumer or worse hand made masks do any good. 

They do good (better than nothing) and can be effective if the fit is good:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24229526/

Here is a paper on efficiency of various homemade filter materials. Many are not too bad, but could have breathability issues or fit issues.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsnano.0c03252

@funwhite wrote:

I have a trip scheduled for May.  That will be my last flight until the mask requirement is lifted.  

This doesn’t make any sense. Are you saying that you won’t fly because there must be a risk, as evidenced by the mask requirement? 

That’s fine and you should make your own choice - what does it matter to you then if other people have to wear them?

There is currently a risk to doing anything outside of your home, air travel included along with other behavior that may be risky like going to the grocery store. Take any precaution you can if you must go out - including wearing a mask.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

There is currently a risk to doing anything outside of your home, air travel included along with other behavior that may be risky like going to the grocery store. Take any precaution you can if you must go out - including wearing a mask.

True, but 10-15 states are opening up today. Movies, retail shops, restaurants, beauty parlors, malls etc will be open today.- albeit with reduced capacity. Governors, legislators, et ll believe it is "safe enough" to partially open. Yeah, unfortunately some people will get sick. Some will die.

If we wait to open til the risk of infection is zero, it'll be 2022 and we'll be in a depression, and the toll on society will be far worse than that which we'll get by starting to open now.

All, IMO, of course.

rrffluvswa
Explorer C

I think the SWA is doing a great job of providing enhanced cleaning and anti microbial applications on their aircraft as well as enhanced cleaning in the airports.  The airports and airplanes have never been cleaner.  If you have seen the video featuring Brian Bond at SWA you will see the lengths that they are going to in order to keep their Customers and Employees safe.  I think that masks should be a Passenger choice.  I travel for work weekly and have heard from many of my colleagues that if they are forced to wear a mask by an airline they will choose another airline.  Southwest gives you the "freedom to fly".  Customers should be allowed to keep that freedom.  If you choose to wear a mask that is your choice.  

Again the airports and planes are cleaner than they have ever been!