Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SOUTHWEST PROCEDURE FOR DEPLANING

Calkidd
Explorer C

Southwest has implemented a good boarding process.  Boarding ten passengers at 

a time allows some distancing. Can anybody explain why Southwest does not have

a deplaning process which would also allow distancing as well.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: SOUTHWEST PROCEDURE FOR DEPLANING

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Calkidd wrote:

It does seem odd. The Southwest Promise specifically states coverage "from check-in to deplaning," and they do say: "Once the plane has landed, you are encouraged to stay seated until your row is clear to move into the aisle." But no one actually does anything on-board to help reduce the scrum of people that happens immediately following the bell.

While it may be difficult to control the (bizarre) human nature at play, I do think an announcement by the FA would help. They could also have a de-boarding process where FAs direct each row individually, but that would increase FAs exposure risks, and also likely slow down the all-important turn.

chgojovigurl
Explorer C

We recently traveled as a family on Southwest. I was eager to get out of town and was encouraged by their claims of contactless checkin, masks required and new boarding/deplaning procedures.

WELL..

I was extremely disappointed in the deplaning process. Nearly everyone around me all reacted in the same way - WHAT is the point of boarding 10 at a time when its a cattle herd and rude/ignorant people pushing thru from the back as elderly try to get their luggage down or exit their row?

It was quite appalling that so many just barge thru from the back instead of waiting their turn or rows remaining seated until others are clear.

Southwest really needs to implement a deplaning procedure much like the boarding procedure if they are advertising they have implemented social distancing measures. All the precautions of boarding 10 at a time, leaving the middle row open and contactless boarding have gone out the window and are useless when an entire plane is standing close together and nearly stampeding those in the aisles trying to get out from the back.. 

ipsedixit
Frequent Flyer C

@chgoflyer wrote:

@Calkidd wrote:

It does seem odd. The Southwest Promise specifically states coverage "from check-in to deplaning," and they do say: "Once the plane has landed, you are encouraged to stay seated until your row is clear to move into the aisle." But no one actually does anything on-board to help reduce the scrum of people that happens immediately following the bell.

While it may be difficult to control the (bizarre) human nature at play, I do think an announcement by the FA would help. They could also have a de-boarding process where FAs direct each row individually, but that would increase FAs exposure risks, and also likely slow down the all-important turn.

Nail meet hammer.